Stargate SG-1

Discussion of Science Fiction motifs, symbols and allegory.
Post Reply
Slender
Indagator
Indagator
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:01 pm

Stargate SG-1

Post by Slender » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:58 pm

I found it tickling to see so many mentions of Stargate here. I used to watch it several years back...then found the first four seasons set at the store and bought it to watch recently. I find the alternate reality mirror most interesting. Quantum physics intrigues me and I've actually had some experiences with alternate realities with the assistance (unasked for!) of someone from one of them.

User avatar
LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis
Posts: 3969
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:38 am
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Contact:

Re: Stargate SG-1

Post by LoneBear » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:18 pm

Slender wrote:I find the alternate reality mirror most interesting.
My favorites are the Daniel Jackson "meaning of life" episodes, like Maternal Instinct, Crystal Skull and The Fifth Race.
Slender wrote:Quantum physics intrigues me and I've actually had some experiences with alternate realities with the assistance (unasked for!) of someone from one of them.
I'd be interested to know more about that experience, as I've never encountered anything to substantiate the multiverse theory that was not explainable from a coordinate time perspective. I do discount the Other Realms, as they are not "variations" of this realm, but completely independent with different "physical" laws. I believe the premise behind Everetts many-worlds, multiverse, or alternate reality is that they are extensions of this realm based on different choices.

(Personally, I did not care for the Stargate alternate reality episodes, as I thought it was just a rip-off of Sliders, and I find original ideas more interesting than just copying what someone else already did.)

Slender
Indagator
Indagator
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:01 pm

Re: Stargate SG-1

Post by Slender » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:26 am

It's very hard to explain what happened. Someone forced me through a rip that opened up in this little cabin I used to live in. I ended up pushing him away from me and running back through the rip I could see and ended up in some church instead. My Vanara were there and he followed, saying that in this reality they didn't know who I was (and it was clear to me that they weren't the same because they were in a church!). He let me go back through the rip and he followed me again but I ended up back in my own place where he'd taken me from. The whole thing made absolutely no sense, unless it was just to prove that such things really existed. He came through one more time but didn't bother me. I asked his name, he said it was Merin. It really was just way too bizarre, even for me. It was so quick and so intense then it was over with with no explanation. I puzzled for months over it. That happened last summer. I moved after that.
I've never seen Sliders. Just SG-1. I don't have cable. I usually just read or buy movies if I want to see things on tv.

User avatar
Tulan
Cellarius
Cellarius
Posts: 453
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:04 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: Stargate SG-1

Post by Tulan » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:33 pm

Merlin huh?
Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song. - Kosh Naranek

Slender
Indagator
Indagator
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:01 pm

Re: Stargate SG-1

Post by Slender » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:58 am

No LOL...Merin/Meren/Merun...no L. He looked to be about in his twenties, mid to late. Sandy colored medium length hair, and green eyes.

Believe me, if he'd said Merlin I would have totally laughed him off the face of the earth and probably called him a liar.

User avatar
Arcelius
Atriensis
Atriensis
Posts: 524
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:35 pm
Location: Atlantic Canada

Re: Stargate SG-1

Post by Arcelius » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:36 pm

Merin seems to be a variant spelling of Marin which means "of the sea". Think of the word marine.

Merlin in its various forms seems to mean "sea fort".

The names are not so different in meaning. Perhaps a name alteration to avoid being laughed at and called a liar :lol: .

User avatar
LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis
Posts: 3969
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:38 am
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Contact:

Re: Stargate SG-1

Post by LoneBear » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:30 pm

Slender wrote:It's very hard to explain what happened. Someone forced me through a rip that opened up in this little cabin I used to live in.
I know that "rip" VERY well. Just like "reality" was a cloth projection screen, and someone tears it open to reveal a different "reality" through it. I've only looked through, never went through. But I don't think I've ever recognized anything on the other side of that rip. I just assumed it was some form of super-accurate remote viewing as I've noticed there can be massive environmental changes, like the Wyoming wilderness ripping open to a business office. Not what you would expect in a place with more cows than people.
Slender wrote:The whole thing made absolutely no sense, unless it was just to prove that such things really existed. He came through one more time but didn't bother me. I asked his name, he said it was Merin. It really was just way too bizarre, even for me.
Ah, I've seen this before, but not in a long time... back in the early 1980s when I was working on some classified research. It was called a psi-tri projection--not technically an "alternate" reality as much as a "potential" reality, psionic generated.

(Gopi: next time you're talking with Tom, ask him if he knows a "Merin." I'd bet he is one of Tom's associates.)
Slender wrote:I've never seen Sliders. Just SG-1..
Sliders was based on the many-worlds interpretation, with the cast "sliding" between different variants of Earth--same time, same place, but different because of a different decision made in the past. For example, one world the British won the war of independence, another, the dinosaurs never became extinct. First couple of seasons were pretty good, based on scientific conjecture, then the "network execs" got involved and wanted an enemy for them to fight (the Cromags). Kind of went downhill after that.

You should watch Babylon 5. I think you would find it an excellent series.

User avatar
Gopi
Atriensis
Atriensis
Posts: 622
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:58 am
Location: Salt Lake City
Contact:

Re: Stargate SG-1

Post by Gopi » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:44 am

LoneBear wrote:I know that "rip" VERY well. Just like "reality" was a cloth projection screen, and someone tears it open to reveal a different "reality" through it.
That IS fascinating... looking forward to it.
LoneBear wrote:(Gopi: next time you're talking with Tom, ask him if he knows a "Merin." I'd bet he is one of Tom's associates.)
Righto.
Slender wrote:Quantum physics intrigues me and I've actually had some experiences with alternate realities with the assistance (unasked for!) of someone from one of them.
I can say something there, having studied Quantum Theories for the past 7 years of my life. It is an artifact of the way geometry changes, and the theory in itself means little more than the "finger pointing at the moon". The alternate realities idea is mostly speculation... driven by the instinctual need, even among scientists, to look for something beyond them.
It is time.

Slender
Indagator
Indagator
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:01 pm

Re: Stargate SG-1

Post by Slender » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:43 am

Arcelius wrote:Merin seems to be a variant spelling of Marin which means "of the sea". Think of the word marine.

Merlin in its various forms seems to mean "sea fort".

The names are not so different in meaning. Perhaps a name alteration to avoid being laughed at and called a liar :lol: .

Actually I did not ever think of Merlin in saying it or even when he gave me his name upon my asking. I corrected you because it did come across as though you were making fun and calling me a liar. I wanted to clarify it for you that I wasn't having an experience with some wizard weilding a magic stick as in legendary terms. This was a younger man and he terrified me because he wasn't nice in personality...nor "magical" or awe inspiring.

User avatar
Arcelius
Atriensis
Atriensis
Posts: 524
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:35 pm
Location: Atlantic Canada

Re: Stargate SG-1

Post by Arcelius » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:37 pm

Slender wrote:Actually I did not ever think of Merlin in saying it or even when he gave me his name upon my asking. I corrected you because it did come across as though you were making fun and calling me a liar. I wanted to clarify it for you that I wasn't having an experience with some wizard weilding a magic stick as in legendary terms. This was a younger man and he terrified me because he wasn't nice in personality...nor "magical" or awe inspiring.
I was not the first to mention Merlin (Tulan did).

However, that doesn't sound like Merlin (i.e. not nice in personality). Merlin often keeps a low profile so I wouldn't expect him to make a big splash (generally speaking). Merin it is then.

Slender
Indagator
Indagator
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:01 pm

Re: Stargate SG-1

Post by Slender » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:32 am

I know...was addressing Tulan.

When I think of legendary Merlin, who I know nothing about but some vague things about him being a wizard...I think of an old man...well, a typical wizard cartoonish like, stately and full of honor. Maybe I should read on Merlin a bit more before assuming about him though. You all seem to know alot more about him than I do.

I got a controlling/hostile type of vibe from this fellow Merin. I didn't get to experience him enough to classify him as low key or big-bang personality. Just that I didn't like him.

While he was able to manipulate this state of whatever it was...reality or psio projection...he just didn't seem like a stately magician, or even someone with dignity or honor. It seemed very unethical and abusive. At least by my standards. I have trouble just binding people and adhere strictly to karmic law if I do. But the Vanara doth protest when I bind, and I've not done so in years despite the thought that I needed to on occassions.

User avatar
Arcelius
Atriensis
Atriensis
Posts: 524
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:35 pm
Location: Atlantic Canada

Re: Stargate SG-1

Post by Arcelius » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:46 pm

Slender wrote:When I think of legendary Merlin, who I know nothing about but some vague things about him being a wizard...I think of an old man...well, a typical wizard cartoonish like, stately and full of honor. Maybe I should read on Merlin a bit more before assuming about him though. You all seem to know alot more about him than I do.
There are some threads on the boards that make reference to Merlin. If you do a board search for "Merlin", you will get to them quickly.
Slender wrote:I have trouble just binding people and adhere strictly to karmic law if I do. But the Vanara doth protest when I bind, and I've not done so in years despite the thought that I needed to on occassions.
When binding, usually a piece of yourself also gets bound to the people you are binding. It's possible that this kind of link may retard one's spiritual progress. Perhaps the Vanara are looking out for you in their own way (i.e. your progress is more important than binding some others).

Post Reply