Idiocracy

Discussion of Science Fiction motifs, symbols and allegory.
LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Idiocracy

Post by LoneBear » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:31 pm

I just watched the film, Idiocracy -- 3 times! One of the poignant statements about human civilization I've ever seen.

Starts out with a typical Sci-Fi experiment on suspended animation, and due to a bureaucratic screw-up, the 1-year test ends up going for 500 years before the subjects wake up. Over the course of that time, human society continued its current, devolutionary trend of "survival of the stupidest." When the test subject, Joe (selected because he was so typically "average") awakes, he finds that he is the smartest person in the world--and the world is in a lot of trouble, because everything is breaking down and there is no one left that is smart enough to fix anything.

It is set in the year 2005... the only problem I see, is they overestimated by about 490 years.

Trailer:

Djchrismac
Cellarius
Cellarius

Re: Idiocracy

Post by Djchrismac » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:54 am

LoneBear wrote:I just watched the film, Idiocracy -- 3 times! One of the poignant statements about human civilization I've ever seen.

Starts out with a typical Sci-Fi experiment on suspended animation, and due to a bureaucratic screw-up, the 1-year test ends up going for 500 years before the subjects wake up. Over the course of that time, human society continued its current, devolutionary trend of "survival of the stupidest." When the test subject, Joe (selected because he was so typically "average") awakes, he finds that he is the smartest person in the world--and the world is in a lot of trouble, because everything is breaking down and there is no one left that is smart enough to fix anything.

It is set in the year 2005... the only problem I see, is they overestimated by about 490 years.
Hahaha yeah i've got a copy of Idiocracy and always enjoy it, a modern sci-fi classic.... or should that be sci-non-fi?! :lol:

How long until we look out the window and this is the view we will have?!:

:oops: :cry:
Jones: [looks at Sallah] You said their headpiece only had markings on one side, are you absolutely sure? [Sallah nods] Belloq's staff is too long.
Jones and Sallah: They're digging in the wrong place!

Lozion
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by Lozion » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:11 am

Its got electrolytes!!
In rapport we thrive, in rivalry we strive.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:49 am

Lozion wrote:
Its got electrolytes!!
LOL!

Though the initial narration does get right to the point:
Narrator: As the 21st century began, human evolution was at a turning point. Natural selection, the process by which the strongest, the smartest, the fastest, reproduced in greater numbers than the rest, a process which had once favored the noblest traits of man, now began to favor different traits. Most science fiction of the day predicted a future that was more civilized and more intelligent. But as time went on, things seemed to be heading in the opposite direction. A dumbing down. How did this happen? Evolution does not necessarily reward intelligence. With no natural predators to thin the herd, it began to simply reward those who reproduced the most, and left the intelligent to become an endangered species.
I guess we can always hope that the SMs return "To Serve Man" and reverse this trend!

Though I will admit that the shuttle trains between the isles at CostCo was a good idea...

Welcome to CostCo. I love you.

MrTwig
Centurio
Centurio

Post by MrTwig » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:52 pm

LoneBear wrote:
Lozion wrote:
Its got electrolytes!!
LOL!

Though the initial narration does get right to the point:
Narrator: As the 21st century began, human evolution was at a turning point. Natural selection, the process by which the strongest, the smartest, the fastest, reproduced in greater numbers than the rest, a process which had once favored the noblest traits of man, now began to favor different traits. Most science fiction of the day predicted a future that was more civilized and more intelligent. But as time went on, things seemed to be heading in the opposite direction. A dumbing down. How did this happen? Evolution does not necessarily reward intelligence. With no natural predators to thin the herd, it began to simply reward those who reproduced the most, and left the intelligent to become an endangered species.
I guess we can always hope that the SMs return "To Serve Man" and reverse this trend!

Though I will admit that the shuttle trains between the isles at CostCo was a good idea...

Welcome to CostCo. I love you.
Evolution theory at its finest! Well if you believe in that stuff. :roll:
To bad the New World Order is in charge or we might have gotten somewhere by now.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:49 am

I just realized that since "everything you know is backwards," and the popular NWO theme is to reduce the world population by getting rid of the "low life" (the poor, nonproductive, and indigenous peoples), I think Idiocracy has it right... if you look around you, what they are trying to get rid of are intelligent people--a dumbing down of society with useless education, nonsense science, mercantilism as religion, and promoting mind-damaging substances such as smoking, drinking and drugs.

The NWO WANTS an Idiocracy, so they won't have any competition for control of the planet. All they really need to to is to WAIT about 20 more years... and the world is theirs.

Gopi
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Gopi » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:26 pm

Yes... it is an excellent film, chillingly realistic. I have watched it multiple times... really loved the depiction of the President.

I think, the same idea took a cartoon form in Wall-E... only there the problem was separated out into Earth and Axiom planets.
It is time.

Lozion
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by Lozion » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:56 pm

LoneBear wrote:I just realized that since "everything you know is backwards," and the popular NWO theme is to reduce the world population by getting rid of the "low life" (the poor, nonproductive, and indigenous peoples), I think Idiocracy has it right... if you look around you, what they are trying to get rid of are intelligent people--a dumbing down of society with useless education, nonsense science, mercantilism as religion, and promoting mind-damaging substances such as smoking, drinking and drugs.

The NWO WANTS an Idiocracy, so they won't have any competition for control of the planet. All they really need to to is to WAIT about 20 more years... and the world is theirs.
Yeah, you could call it Reverse Eugenics, scary! :shock:
In rapport we thrive, in rivalry we strive.

Ilkka
Praefectus
Praefectus

Post by Ilkka » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:12 am

Loved the movie also, still have it on DVD have had it for many years though.

I liked the way they made the movie, the stupid things that made me laugh so hard. The police that accidentally shot down an airliner with a bazooka, that was hilarious. And the "Ou My Balls" series that was so stupid but hilarious. Also liked the role of Dax Shepard he makes his character so stupid it is very believable role, not to mention Luke Wilson's and Maya Rudolph's roles, shouldve gave them an Oscar or something from that movie. Given the fact that it was directed by Mike Judge who have also made "Beavis and Butthead" the stupid things were perhaps easy to come by.

"You mean water, like in a toilet..."
Enjoy the Silence

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:51 am

Maybe I should make the Idiocracy IQ test part of the registration form for access, to keep the spammers out!

"If you have one bucket that contains 2 gallons and another bucket that contains 7 gallons, how many buckets do you have?"

Though these days, it would probably keep the humans out--and let the spammers in! :shock:

MrTwig
Centurio
Centurio

Post by MrTwig » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:14 pm

No worries mate! An idiocracy test would mean that no one could enter and sooner or later you would have this place to yourself. Then again the Bots would be here talking to each other. The Spammers would not come here because all the idiots would be gone. So much for ascension! :wink: