Godzilla 3D (2014)

Discussion of Science Fiction motifs, symbols and allegory.
LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Godzilla 3D (2014)

Post by LoneBear » Wed May 21, 2014 3:33 pm

I got talked in to going to view Godzilla 3D at the theater... I think the last time I was at the theater was for Godzilla 2000!

Yes, the picture was in 3D with the polarized glasses, but IMHO, it was a waste... unlike the old, 3D films where they actually DID something cool with the 3D effect, this film did nothing... it was just a 2D picture taken with a 3D camera. At the very least, they should have had Godzilla's fire breath shoot out the screen at the audience! I heard others comment that after about 10 minutes, you forgot the picture was in 3D--I would have to agree.

The film concentrates on the now all-to-common motif of "your job comes first," ignoring the wife, kids and friends. Heck even "mom" in this film loaded her little kid on a bus so she could work as a nurse at the hospital (and, of course, the bus ended up stuck on the bridge where Godzilla FINALLY shows up). And if you are a monster fan, Godzilla makes nothing more than a cameo appearance, mainly at the very tail end of the film--though you do get to see a lot of his dorsal plates moving under the water or behind things.

Though if you are a Sci-Fi buff, you would catch a few things, like Dr. Serizawa being inferred as a descendent of Daisuke Serizawa, the inventor that created the oxygen-destroyer that killed Godzilla in 1954. And little things like the "Requiem for Soprano, Mezzo-soprano, two mixed choirs and orchestra" from 2001 being played during the parachute jump. I actually remembered the name of the piece... guess that shows how big a Sci-Fi geek I am!

And they redesigned Godzilla, again. Bigger, stronger and an even smaller head and eyes. I guess it's misinformation, as the original Godzilla may have looked a little bit too much like Enlil. :D

The reviewers are bragging on how great a film it was. No so. I'd agree with Thurston Howell III from Gilligan's Island, "That film was so bad, I'd walk out of it, even on an airplane!"
Keeper of the Troth of Ásgarðr, Moriar prius quam dedecorer.

Ilkka
Praefectus
Praefectus

Re: Godzilla 3D (2014)

Post by Ilkka » Thu May 22, 2014 10:25 am

LoneBear wrote:"That film was so bad, I'd walk out of it, even on an airplane!"
Thats a hell of a quote :D

I've seen only the trailers of the film and I thought that I isn't worth spending time nor money on exept maybe when it is shown in TV. I remember this friend of mine who went to see the Titanic movie from 1997 and he fell asleep during it and woke up when the boat crashed on the iceberg. Money well spent :D
Enjoy the Silence

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Thu May 22, 2014 2:31 pm

Ilkka wrote:I've seen only the trailers of the film and I thought that I isn't worth spending time nor money on exept maybe when it is shown in TV.
I only went because it was free... and worth every penny!
Keeper of the Troth of Ásgarðr, Moriar prius quam dedecorer.

Ilkka
Praefectus
Praefectus

Post by Ilkka » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:50 pm

LoneBear wrote:Godzilla's fire breath
I noticed it was blue in color, which I guess refers to "blue blood" as in Nobles, the ones who are "direct descendants" of the "gods" (False gods - Teal'c).

So yea I finally saw the movie had nothing else to do even though I said I wouldnt see it. As it turns out I didnt spend my money on it exept for the electricity and internet connection. Also the ending had a scene where television is shown that has "Breaking news, King of the monsters - Savior of our city?". This again indicates that it was a "good guy" for the humans, also I noticed that Godzilla itself didnt kill any humans at all even though humans tried to kill it. Interesting movie but very bad indeed, too cliche, could easilly predict the next happening or scene in the movie. Too bad that Bryan Cranstons role was so short, I liked Breaking Bad serie so I recognized him from that series which was his career peak I guess. Kick ass did kick ass in this movie too, killing alot of monster babies.
Enjoy the Silence

maeghan
Cognitor
Cognitor

Post by maeghan » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:01 am

My husband is a huge Godzilla fan so I went with him to see the movie. I always go into a movie asking myself 'what is the director saying to it's viewer'? Nothing really stood out to me with this film other than Brian Cranston's role and how he was determined to uncover the reason why his nuclear plant went into meltdown causing his wife to die. He followed the clues. Meanwhile his son thought he was crazy.

'Conspiracy theorists aren't really crazy' (which I already know) but it's nice to see the theme in the movie.
Ilkka wrote:Too bad that Bryan Cranstons role was so short, I liked Breaking Bad serie so I recognized him from that series which was his career peak I guess.
I was looking forward to seeing the movie only because of Cranston; I loved Breaking Bad. AMC has done well with some of their shows. The Walking Dead is quite good, yes it's about zombies, but the character development and the relationship of the community of people is what draws me in. It takes a group to survive. ;)

(Also, I don't think Cranston's career has reached it's peak, I think it's only begun. He did an amazing job with BB. I never watched Malcolm in the middle; I really do not enjoy sitcoms.)

Ilkka
Praefectus
Praefectus

Post by Ilkka » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:02 am

maeghan wrote:Also, I don't think Cranston's career has reached it's peak, I think it's only begun.
Yea, I used incorrect term because sometimes I lack the proper translations. I meant it was the time when he popped up to be a celebrity.
Enjoy the Silence

Billy
Centurio
Centurio

Post by Billy » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:16 am

I haven't been to the movies in ages. Very rare for me to see a preview and say, "I think I'd like to see that."
Though I haven't seen the film, I did notice in the previews that the name given to the project to destroy Godzilla was 'Project Monarch'. Al Bielek, Mark Phillips, and many others have come forward and spoken about this, and what I've come to understand is that it is a continuation of sorts of the original MKULTRA. Clever ploy on the part of the writers, as now if I go trying to talk to people about Project Monarch, the response will most likely be, "You got that from Godzilla!" Nice misdirection there.

deepfsh
Cellarius
Cellarius

Lucy (2014)

Post by deepfsh » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:42 pm

Billy wrote:I haven't been to the movies in ages. Very rare for me to see a preview and say, "I think I'd like to see that."
Lucy (2014) - from the director of The Fifth Element.
  • Wikipedia wrote:Lucy is a 2014 French science fiction action film directed, written and edited by Luc Besson, and produced by Europacorp. The film was shot in Taipei, Paris and New York City. It stars Scarlett Johansson, Morgan Freeman, Amr Waked and Choi Min-sik. Johansson portrays the title character, a woman who gains psychokinetic abilities from a nootropic drug being absorbed into her bloodstream.
(... some of you just recently discussed about the (ab)use of drugs in our society, and how they are being "promoted" by some "alternative" researchers. For me, the movie contains quite a lot of esoteric symbolism. Starting with Lucy(fer), of course, and the All-Seeing Eye on the poster.)
"You talk the talk ... do you walk the walk?" Kubrick, Full Metal Jacket

Lozion
Cellarius
Cellarius

Re: Lucy (2014)

Post by Lozion » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:37 pm

deepfsh wrote:
Billy wrote:I haven't been to the movies in ages. Very rare for me to see a preview and say, "I think I'd like to see that."
Lucy (2014) - from the director of The Fifth Element.
  • Wikipedia wrote:Lucy is a 2014 French science fiction action film directed, written and edited by Luc Besson, and produced by Europacorp. The film was shot in Taipei, Paris and New York City. It stars Scarlett Johansson, Morgan Freeman, Amr Waked and Choi Min-sik. Johansson portrays the title character, a woman who gains psychokinetic abilities from a nootropic drug being absorbed into her bloodstream.
(... some of you just recently discussed about the (ab)use of drugs in our society, and how they are being "promoted" by some "alternative" researchers. For me, the movie contains quite a lot of esoteric symbolism. Starting with Lucy(fer), of course, and the All-Seeing Eye on the poster.)

Have you seen it? I can already predict more fuel to the transhumanist/supersoldier agenda hi-jacking natural psionic abilities via drugs/technology...

Edit: Btw, txs a lot for the f.lux recommendation, it really works well and is so transparent I forgot to thank you...
In rapport we thrive, in rivalry we strive.

deepfsh
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by deepfsh » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:20 am

Lozion wrote:Have you seen it?
Twice, at the cinema! It just happened so (due to circumstances), for the first time in my life.
Lozion wrote:I can already predict more fuel to the transhumanist/supersoldier agenda hi-jacking natural psionic abilities via drugs/technology...
I would still recommend to watch it - at one point, you will probably think about what Daniel and Bruce said about psionic abilities and ethics / responsibility going hand in hand.
Lozion wrote:Btw, txs a lot for the f.lux recommendation, it really works well and is so transparent I forgot to thank you...
I think it's great, I've been going to bed until 10/11 pm recently - exceptionally at 11.30 pm. And I close my shutters entirely, so that no light comes in and my brains rewire till next day. It works - I get up much earlier and feel more rested. After I get up, I usually drink half bottle of (not too) hot water. This is how my day starts - no sweets in the morning, like I used to do during my studies. Only a good portion of meet/fish and vegetables!

(BTW: For those who work a lot on the computer - have you ever had any problems with your testicles? :D)

Lozion
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by Lozion » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:40 am

deepfsh wrote: (BTW: For those who work a lot on the computer - have you ever had any problems with your testicles? :D)
Ahem, not sure what you mean here... :shock:
In rapport we thrive, in rivalry we strive.

deepfsh
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by deepfsh » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:10 am

Lozion wrote:Ahem, not sure what you mean here...
Just a reminder for those who sit a lot in front of the computer for working purposes - don't forget about regular physical activity. I should have written it under ''wellness'', my mistake.