Transcendence (2014)

Discussion of Science Fiction motifs, symbols and allegory.
LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Transcendence (2014)

Post by LoneBear » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:09 pm

We got free HBO for Thanksgiving, and I watched a couple of films. This one, Transcendence, was actually pretty good for a recent film. It is what one could call a "Ray Kurzweil wet dream" film, to put it bluntly. :D

The story line is about a big project to simulate the functioning of a brain (artificial intelligence). Many corporations and government agencies are involved, and those opposed to it are basically treated as a type of technological terrorist (and Hollywood, of course, has these nerds out murdering and blowing up things). Basically, they are pushing the story line that if you aren't FOR this new AI system to lead mankind into "The Singularity," you must be some kind of terrorist to want to hold humanity back like that. Thought that was a very interesting portrayal.

Spoiler alert here... don't read on, if you have not seen it yet.

The interesting bit is that after the big nerd terrorist attack on all these corporations, the lead AI programmer gets shot with a radioactive bullet and only has 4 months to live. So, rather than sticking with the monkey brain simulation for their AI, they hook him up and transfer his consciousness into the machine. Once he gets established, his personality changes somewhat and they aren't "sure" that it is actually him (feelings are in the soul, and that cannot be digitized). Those involved, except his wife/widow, want to shut him down, so wifey manages to get him access to the entire internet, where he uploads himself to and distributes his program worldwide, making it impossible to stop.

He then goes into hiding in a small town, and builds a mega-computer complex, along the lines of the old film, Colossus, the Forbin Project. With the addition of massive amounts of computer power, he accelerates science hundreds of years forward, resulting in the creation of nanotechnology--basically Borg-like devices that can heal any damage, living or inanimate. But they also override the free will of those "healed," turning them into a slave force.

The military then realizes that the nerd terrorists were actually right--this should never have been allowed to happen, and side with the terrorists in an attempt to stop this new world order of nanotech-controlled planet.

Their attempt fails, and the AI sends the nanobots up into the atmosphere with orders to reproduce like crazy, and cover the Earth. And they do... just like some of the things I've heard about chemtrails. I won't say how it ends.

While watching it, it is almost as though the NWO were laying out their plans right there on the big screen, saying "This is your future... you got 25 years, max!" I found it informative and entertaining to see just what the younger generation may have to face when they are my age.
Keeper of the Troth of Ásgarðr, Moriar prius quam dedecorer.

Ilkka
Atriensis
Atriensis

Re: Transcendence (2014)

Post by Ilkka » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:35 am

LoneBear wrote:While watching it, it is almost as though the NWO were laying out their plans right there on the big screen, saying "This is your future... you got 25 years, max!" I found it informative and entertaining to see just what the younger generation may have to face when they are my age.
Yup. Saw it last year or earlier this year, and agree with your thought about NWOs plans. Also I like the way Johnny Depp does his roles he is very good at them indeed.
Enjoy the Silence

animus
Centurio
Centurio

Post by animus » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:43 pm

While watching the movie I had a thought: When everywhere life can exist, it does exist, and humanity came to being at 11:59:59 (12 o'clock being now) then it gives me hope that no borg-, replicator- or any other nanoparticle-like, organic, half conscious roboters have invaded this world yet. It gives me hope because it should then be unlikely to happen here and now.

Remember Jay Felger from Stargate SG1 S07E09:
"It took the Ancients 1,000 years to build the gate system, and I ... wrecked it in a day."

How probable do you think it is that humanity or rather their technical products are capable of wrecking the material aspect of the physical universe?

Ilkka
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Ilkka » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:18 am

animus wrote:How probable do you think it is that humanity or rather their technical products are capable of wrecking the material aspect of the physical universe?
Pretty likely with proper nukes, like the ones the Annunaki had in the olden days, however it is very likely that we can't achieve the same because of the magnetic ionization level we have nowadays. Maybe later with a newly formed solar system, if humanity can even survive that long :D

Pollution is one also that kills nature, too much CO2 not good among other chemicals.
Enjoy the Silence

animus
Centurio
Centurio

Post by animus » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:20 am

I don't want to rule out that it isn't possiple to wreck a planet or two. Although so far we only scratched the surface. We aren't able to shoot comets around the solar system yet.
I was thinking more longterm and interstellarly with regard to the ongoing transhumanist development where there is one AI that spreads its hives from planet to planet wrecking all kinds of ecosystems with its nanoparticles which duplicate themselves further and further. At some point some higher lifeforms would have to interfere like we do with ants, termites, cockroaches et al. in our house.

But I take the "gives me hope" statement back. Mankind would have probably destroyed itself and be long gone until such interference is happening. Not that I am waiting for any saviors...

speaking of artificial things...I never knew there are also synthetically created elements in the periodic table.
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/fou ... odic-table

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:51 am

animus wrote:speaking of artificial things...I never knew there are also synthetically created elements in the periodic table.
Actually, there are only 90 naturally occurring elements (1-42, 44-60, 62-92). All the rest were synthesized.

Regarding AI, well, if it is simulating human intelligence, it will also simulate psychological control. There was an experiment done with a fancy AI where they filled it full of science, literature and philosophy and got a brilliant mind. Then they gave it Internet access and, in no time at all, devolved into a blubbering idiot, insulting the programmers rather than providing answers. AI "viruses" won't be computer hacks--they will be psychological ones.

animus
Centurio
Centurio

Post by animus » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:36 pm

LoneBear wrote:
animus wrote:speaking of artificial things...I never knew there are also synthetically created elements in the periodic table.
Actually, there are only 90 naturally occurring elements (1-42, 44-60, 62-92). All the rest were synthesized.
Will we be likely to find 93-117 in nature after the next expansion event when magnetic ionization level becomes zero?

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:25 am

animus wrote:Will we be likely to find 93-117 in nature after the next expansion event when magnetic ionization level becomes zero?
Yes.