"50 Greatest Sci-Fi Shows Ever" Lineup

Discussion of Science Fiction motifs, symbols and allegory.
joeyv23
Atriensis
Atriensis

"50 Greatest Sci-Fi Shows Ever" Lineup

Post by joeyv23 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:45 am

I thought I'd share this Popular Mechanics article / slideshow here for others to take a look at and for personal ease of access in the future when I'm looking for a new (old) sci-fi to watch. I'm inclined to pretty much agree with the listing the shows have been given, however, there are quite a few that I haven't seen, and I'm sure some folks might rank some of these shows differently as a matter of personal preference, opinion, and vMeme.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/culture ... /?slide=50
"Living is not necessary, but navigation is." --Pompey
"Navigation is necessary in order to live." --Me

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Re: "50 Greatest Sci-Fi Shows Ever" Lineup

Post by LoneBear » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:26 am

I was curious about the sequence of popularity, which I assume was done by some kind of Internet poll. Based on the way the shows were ranked, you can reverse-engineer who took the poll... primarily men in the 30-50 age group with tech jobs, raised by two working parents.

They should have divided Doctor Who into two series, classic and "next generation," since they are vastly different. Classic DW is Sci-Fi, whereas DW-TNG is SyFy (action-adventure in space). They would have still been first in line, with TNG then classic, as they did with Star Trek.
Keeper of the Troth of Ásgarðr, Moriar prius quam dedecorer.

joeyv23
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by joeyv23 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:16 pm

LoneBear wrote: Based on the way the shows were ranked, you can reverse-engineer who took the poll... primarily men in the 30-50 age group with tech jobs, raised by two working parents.
I think it came from one guy who more than likely fits into the slice of life that you described. I could be wrong though and the show descriptions could have been polled and written that way so as to appear to have come from a single individual.
"Living is not necessary, but navigation is." --Pompey
"Navigation is necessary in order to live." --Me

DSKlausler
Centurio
Centurio

Post by DSKlausler » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:26 am

joeyv23 wrote:I thought I'd share this Popular Mechanics article / slideshow here for others to take a look at and for personal ease of access in the future when I'm looking for a new (old) sci-fi to watch. I'm inclined to pretty much agree with the listing the shows have been given, however, there are quite a few that I haven't seen, and I'm sure some folks might rank some of these shows differently as a matter of personal preference, opinion, and vMeme.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/culture ... /?slide=50

Picard remains my favorite... and not even close. Brilliant recent [Strongbow] commercials [ab]using him.
Anything is possible with the proper training.