The Men Who Stare at Goats (2009)

Discussion of Science Fiction motifs, symbols and allegory.
LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

The Men Who Stare at Goats (2009)

Post by LoneBear » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:37 am

The Men Who Stare at Goats
"A reporter in Iraq might just have the story of a lifetime when he meets Lyn Cassady, a guy who claims to be a former member of the U.S. Army's New Earth Army, a unit that employs paranormal powers in their missions."

This film came up in another topic, and since I knew someone involved with that program, decided to watch the film last night.

It was surprisingly good, with New Age humor similar to that in Dharma & Greg. What the film depicts is a journalist's path to exposing a government "black op" to try to develop paranormal ability to use as a weapon--because the French put out an "insider" article saying the Russians were developing psychic warriors, which the Russians denied, so the United States took it seriously and had to have a program of their own, which the Russians found out about so they had to make a real program for themselves.

The aforementioned "New Earth Army" was called the Jedi, after Star Wars, which had premiered during the time this program was starting up. The idea was to use psychic ability to prevent an enemy from attacking (a type of mind control). What is particularly interesting is that there is a LOT of truth in this film on a very serious topic, buried under humor and satire.

It is NOT a serious film, but worth the time to watch simply because of the way it exposes the flip between ego and anima possession. I recommend it.
Keeper of the Troth of Ásgarðr, Moriar prius quam dedecorer.

Andrew
Cellarius
Cellarius

Re: The Men Who Stare at Goats (2009)

Post by Andrew » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:24 pm

I followed Courtney Brown for a little while a few years ago, but he did this 10 week promotional piece that was supposed to end with some revolutionary information, and it ended up being a promo for his new DVD production. Which is fine. You got to make a living. But his trailer for it was full of alien strippers and bad special effects. It was just really weird! So I "tuned out." Any chance he's the guy you know from the program?
"Classical historians traditionally dismiss tales of magic as unworthy of scholarly attention, but to us any mention of a witch's broomstick or wizard's wand evokes the smell of a scientist's laboratory." The Sphinx and the Megaliths

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:35 pm

Andrew wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:24 pm
Any chance he's the guy you know from the program?
No, the guy I knew died a couple of years ago from cancer.
Keeper of the Troth of Ásgarðr, Moriar prius quam dedecorer.

Billy
Centurio
Centurio

Post by Billy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:49 pm

I watched that film, several years ago, after seeing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kY-BMXHWXY Stubblebine was one of those guys that got me a bit curious. Of course, this was also back when I thought Ventura was legit. But then I started thinking, "Could this guy be for real?" http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/07/ ... 34x630.jpg

Andrew
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by Andrew » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:38 pm

Billy wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:49 pm
I watched that film, several years ago, after seeing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kY-BMXHWXY Stubblebine was one of those guys that got me a bit curious. Of course, this was also back when I thought Ventura was legit. But then I started thinking, "Could this guy be for real?" http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/07/ ... 34x630.jpg
That picture got me worried for a bit that was some trans-corporate Stubblebine. But it's Ventura. :lol:

I'm not that engaged with Ventura's work, but I thought he did, at least, some legitimate work. I remember watching an episode of his about Project Blue Beam, and it was pretty accurate to detail about the its function, purpose, and desired outcome.

Such are the limitations of working under producers. Reminds me of George Carlin talking about God, "he's all powerful, and all wise, but somehow *thumb snap* just can't handle money."
"Classical historians traditionally dismiss tales of magic as unworthy of scholarly attention, but to us any mention of a witch's broomstick or wizard's wand evokes the smell of a scientist's laboratory." The Sphinx and the Megaliths