Stargate Atlantis

Discussion of Science Fiction motifs, symbols and allegory.
Tulan
Cellarius
Cellarius

Stargate Atlantis

Post by Tulan » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:50 am

The Stargate Atlantis episode was fairly interesting as well, in the end noting how the Wraith were mentioned to becoming more territorial with one another...
Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song. - Kosh Naranek

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Re: Stargate Atlantis

Post by LoneBear » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:02 pm

ivoryxs wrote:The Stargate Atlantis episode was fairly interesting as well, in the end noting how the Wraith were mentioned to becoming more territorial with one another...
A logical consequence of the lack of food (they were awoken before their time by Shepherd). But unlike the Ori, the Wraith are primarily 2nd/lower 3rd density. They interact as a hive, including a hive mind (group telepathy). They are, in a way, analogous to the Velociraptor of Jurassic Park, right down to the big, sharp teeth and aggressive nature.

The only inconsistency I've found with the show is that the Wraith should be unable to understand Ancient technology, as that is upper 3rd/lower 4th density. Like the Earthers, it should be beyond their ability to understand. The one episode where they were on the Ancient ship where everyone was in the "Matrix", trying to steal the hyperdrive plans, should not have done them any good.

Of course, it is this inconsistency that gives the show a powerful enemy. If you notice, "intelligence" is a double-edged sword.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Sanctuary

Post by LoneBear » Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:05 pm

Last friday's Stargate Atlantis episode, Epiphany, was very interesting... seems the Ancients built this "Sanctuary" for people whom were dedicated to the path of Ascension could go to spend their life studying, meditating and preparing, without interference from the Wraith or other war-mongering civilizations. Sounds like a good idea to me!

It is based on the old story, Lost Horizon, and the mythical community of Shangri-La.

I won't reveal the plot line, as it has not yet aired in other parts of the world. GOOD EPISODE, though. Loved McKay's newest invention, along the lines of "soap on a rope" and "steak on a stake": "MALP on a stick". :)

BlueEagle
Centurio
Centurio

Re:

Post by BlueEagle » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:36 pm

Warning: plot is revealed below.

the Ancients built this "Sanctuary" for people whom were dedicated to the path of Ascension could go to spend their life studying, meditating and preparing, without interference from the Wraith or other war-mongering civilizations. Sounds like a good idea to me!
Sounds like a great place to me too. For a time anyway.

But it does make you wonder about the strength of the ones who lived out there entire lives there. Shepard pointed out that the lives in the sanctuary, were, compared to Earth peoples' lives, "dull." We don't know really how much fear and strife they had in the sanctuary, but if a monster that wouldn't come into their compound was one of their few threats, their "stength" would be questionable.

As is was said, we live in a crucible society, especially for those who seek "enlightenment." Actually I shouldn't put it that way; for those who mearly seek.

Than again, having my experience at Avalon, I learned more there and made greater personal strides then ever before or ever since.