Chronicles of Narnia

Discussion of Science Fiction motifs, symbols and allegory.
Tulan
Cellarius
Cellarius

Chronicles of Narnia

Post by Tulan » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:24 pm

Well today I saw the Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.

I thought it was interesting.

I havn't read the books since I was very small child so I barely remember what the books are like. I was wondering has anyone read the books and seen the movie? Are there major differences?

The movie seemed pretty good to me, pretty heavy on CGI (as usual these days) but it seemed to retain that feeling of childhood imagination that captured me with the books as a child.

None-the-less it was a very interesting story about the psyche.

I suppose later tonight I will catch up on all my posts, and try to analyze some of the symbols (from the movie!). If anyone has read the books you should do the same in here!
Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song. - Kosh Naranek

Alluvion
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Re: Chronicles of Narnia

Post by Alluvion » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:56 pm

I have my CON bound sitting right behind me (along with siddhartha and the superb Wrinkle in Time series).

the movie could never match up to the creation in the imagination that the series lends itself to be.
The story is still very interesting, epic and grand, but I don't think its possible to put that great an
experience into the medium of film without really changing things around - and what i noticed in the movie
was some spotty re-interpretation and some incredibly literal presentation, it wasn' that artful in-between translation
that is so hard to achieve but could really make the film and aid to the books. oh well, right?

i'd say if you make the time for it re-read the books : )
thats where the real magic is.

-a

lvx08
Centurio
Centurio

Post by lvx08 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:44 am

I quite liked the film. It seemed pretty close to what I remembered was the feeling of the book. Far better than an awful TV series produced 10 or so years ago. I think the battle was hyped up for the film

I'd like to see them film C S lewis' science fiction type novels. Out of the silent planet; That hideous strength and Perelandra. They have a christian sub text but I remember enjoying them when I read them as a kid

Tulan
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by Tulan » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:32 am

Cool, thanks warmsylph, I will read the books before I do any analyzing then. Thanks for letting me know! (wrinkle in time was awesome)

(Dune is my absolute favorite, but this thread isn't about Dune ;) )
Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song. - Kosh Naranek