Dr. Who?

Discussion of Science Fiction motifs, symbols and allegory.
BlueEagle
Centurio
Centurio

Dr. Who?

Post by BlueEagle » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:16 pm

The Doctor of course, the last of the Time Lords.

The premier was tonight on the SciFi channel.

Having not seen the original, I would have to say that the program was very well done.

Loved the humor, and it had enough motifs and symbols to keep me happy. I do hope they explain the whole "time" situation. How can he have opinions if he can just go back in time to his own planet before it....

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Re: Dr. Who?

Post by LoneBear » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:26 pm

I really enjoyed the new Doctor. Kept very close to the original series (unlike the FOX movie). I did notice in the closing credits that it was NOT a Sci-Fi "original", but made by the BBC in England, which is probably why it was good--didn't get Americanized into action/adventure.

Quite curious that the very first episode of the return of my all-time favorite sci-fi series was "Rose." No laughing, Oma!

The Doctor has faced this enemy, the Nestene Autons, in other incarnations. It is nice to see they have kept to the old storyline. I expect we'll see Daleks, Cybermen and the like in the future.

Not sure I like the TARDIS redesign. My favorite was the Tom Baker classic.

For those without background, the Doctor is a native of the planet Gallifrey, binary coordinates ten zero, eleven zero, zero by zero two from Galactic Zero center. His race of people are/were known as the Time Lords, Oligarchic rulers of that planet. The Time Lords had a policy of non-intervention, and the first doctor did not agree with just standing by, doing nothing. So he stole a Type 40 TARDIS, and he and his granddaughter, Susan, fled to Earth to hide from his people. Susan's teachers, Ian and Barbara, got a little suspicious about Susan's very advanced mind and unusual behavior, and followed her home to a junk yard--where they were hiding the TARDIS (which has the form of a 1950's English Police Public Call Box). The Doctor, realizing that they had been discovered, tricked Ian and Barbara into the TARDIS, and let the planet... starting a series of adventures that has become the longest running sci-fi serial in history.

One of the things I am wondering about in the show was the reference to Gallifrey having been destroyed, and was nothing but dust and rock. Of course, the time frame of the episode was 5 billion years in the future, so I would assume that Gallifrey still existed back in 2005.

BlueEagle
Centurio
Centurio

Re:

Post by BlueEagle » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:34 pm

Do you know the source of the name TARDIS?

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Re:

Post by LoneBear » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:15 am

BlueEagle wrote:Do you know the source of the name TARDIS?
The very first Dr. Who episode. Susan picked the name, which stands for "Time And Relative Dimension In Space". Comes from the fact that the TARDIS is bigger on the inside than the out.

Gopi
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Gopi » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:38 am

One of my favourite episodes till date is the double-episode: "The Empty Child" and "The Doctor Dances". Has a fascinating storyline, and also shows how the Doctor, with almost no great physical prowess can turn events totally on their head... it starts off as a horror story, and the ending is simply.. fantastic!

I think almost all episodes are available on stage6.divx.com ... you can watch them online.
It is time.

dbeaman1
Centurio
Centurio

Post by dbeaman1 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:55 pm

LoneBear wrote:
Quite curious that the very first episode of the return of my all-time favorite sci-fi series was "Rose." No laughing, Oma!
you realize, of course, that now I must laugh, don't you? :wink:
oma

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:39 pm

I just watched the Doctor Who episode, "The Fires of Pompeii" last night (2nd of season 4, old series 30). This morning, I was at an automotive shop talking with the owner, who for some reason just had to tell me about the trip he and his wife took a few years ago--to Pompeii. Very odd coincidence, particularly since they apparently have traveled all over Europe and Asia. Perhaps I've just learned to pay attention to those odd coincidences these days.

Volcano, anyone?