fantasy/epics/mythology and tides of the unconscious

Discussion of Science Fiction motifs, symbols and allegory.
Alluvion
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

fantasy/epics/mythology and tides of the unconscious

Post by Alluvion » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:59 pm

I think an analogy between the moon and the motion of the sea is appropriate given the vast nature of the unconscious (a dark sea) and catalysts which seem to cause it to ebb and flow. I am just interested in sharing, really, out of popular epics/fantasies/mythologies where my tides seem to be attracted. I am interested in the tides of others as well. Not sure where this would go, but an examination of unconscious contents seems to be the order of the day. I've picked a few literary subjects I've read and know about, but of course there are many I have missed. I haven't read the lord of the rings so that symbolic language is less available to be, but I can offer Harry Potter (jk rowling), His Dark Materials (phillip pullman). Perhaps those of us versed in other mythos can suggest possible associations to others.

from harry potter - In that world I want to be a wand maker. I feel an attraction to the design, production and dispensing of wands. Within the HP world it seems like there are 2 parts to a wand - the core-chord and the shell. The core-chords mentioned in the books are of 3 sources which to me suggests an association with mind/body/spirit - so to me there is a matrix of combinations between these three core-chords and the magical properties of the wooden shell. I would say that the dragon-heartstring is for the physically oriented magician, the unicorn-hair thread for the mentally oriented magician and the phoenix-feather core for the spiritually oriented magician. Cross this with the type of wood used and you have a unique magical signature for the wand which tells the magician something about his or herself.

Also from HP and the Dark Materials world is the association of a person with an animal presence - in HP it is the patronus, though non-corporeal they have a corporeal form that relates to the character of the person. This form seems to be rather consistent unless someone undergoes a deep change in consciousness brought about from emotional catalyst - in the Dark Materials world, a person's soul is external from them in this animal form. However, the difference is that this animal form shape-shifts as one ages, assuming a permanent form when one is older and supposedly of more consistent character.

I think the idea of understanding oneself based upon this kind of reflection is attractive because it would tell you how you are with some certainty. You would know about yourself in a more finite way and thus be able to act accordingly and with more wisdom. This kind of symbol I have the hardest time deciding - though a friend of mine said i'd be a kangaroo and as I research I find it quite appropriate.

So thats that - looking forward to what you all think.