"How do you visualize individual withing the SMC?"

Discussion of Science Fiction motifs, symbols and allegory.
Alluvion
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

"How do you visualize individual withing the SMC?"

Post by Alluvion » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:40 pm

To pull a quote from LB from Gopi's (corrected) dream post.

My mind really saw the flag up at the mailbox on this one, so I've taken some time to explore and see what organically makes sense for me. I went through a few iterations and none really fit or felt right, or need some alterations, felt to 'applied'. Eventually I came to see a fleet of air-balloons as what fits the bill, of all proportions and forms which can travel to land, pull the canopy in to travel in water and fill up big time to alight. Its an interesting symbolic but still complex way to view these relationships, as they can be at any scale (a suspended city or tethered tree) and form.

I am curious about this question as well, from Aluxon and the rest. That way if we see these things we might know whose floating through our midst.
Last edited by Alluvion on Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arcelius
Atriensis
Atriensis

Re: "How do you visualize individual withing the SMC?"

Post by Arcelius » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:53 pm

Alluvion wrote:To pull a quote from LB from Aluxon's dream post.
I don't think this came from the dream post but wherever it came from ...
Alluvion wrote:My mind really saw the flag up at the mailbox on this one, so I've taken some time to explore and see what organically makes sense for me. I went through a few iterations and none really fit or felt right, or need some alterations, felt to 'applied'. Eventually I came to see a fleet of air-balloons as what fits the bill, of all proportions and forms which can travel to land, pull the canopy in to travel in water and fill up big time to alight. Its an interesting symbolic but still complex way to view these relationships, as they can be at any scale (a suspended city or tethered tree) and form.
Like will 'o wisps. Little bright lights bouncing around everywhere (even underground). I don't see too much variation in size but there is much difference in the amount of light (density/luminousity) between them.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Re: "How do you visualize individual withing the SMC?"

Post by LoneBear » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:19 pm

aluxon wrote:
Alluvion wrote:To pull a quote from LB from Aluxon's dream post.
I don't think this came from the dream post but wherever it came from ...
I believe he is referring to, "And how do you visualize the individuals present in the Social Memory Complex of Earth?"

I specified Earth since there are a number of SMCs in and near the solar system, including the solar system, itself. I was interested in the symbolizing of the one commonly referred to as "Gaia".
Alluvion wrote:Its an interesting symbolic but still complex way to view these relationships, as they can be at any scale (a suspended city or tethered tree) and form.
Having been raised on the ocean shore, "fog" is my mystical zone, so I view the SMC as a white mist on an ocean, and the individuals are the boats hidden away in that mist. Usually, I "hear" before I see--sense the vibratory pattern in the fog, like whalesong, voice or singing. Gopi is familiar with that... when we are chatting and get interrupted, my usual question is, "did you hear that?"

Though I have now learned how to use "raydar", if you get my drift... so to speak!