Frequency of Thunderstorms

A place to conduct polls of the membership. Since voting on polls is a web-only system, there is no associated email list for this forum.

Thinking back to your youth, are there MORE or FEWER thunderstorms now, than in your youth?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:48 am

MORE now than in youth, but less violent.
No votes
MORE now than in youth, but MORE violent.
No votes
FEWER now than in youth, but less violent.
22%
FEWER now than in youth, but MORE violent.
78%

Total votes: 9

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Frequency of Thunderstorms

Post by LoneBear » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:48 am

I am doing some research into atmospheric structure for an experiment I am working on that might be effected by the toxins in our "modern" atmosphere. Nature tends to respond to changes like that and one of the biggest atmospheric indicators we have is thunderstorms.
4 8 15 16 23 42

joeyv23
Atriensis
Atriensis

Re: Frequency of Thunderstorms

Post by joeyv23 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:35 pm

Considering my life in Georgia, I can't say that there are more or less or that they are more or less violent. Maybe I haven't been alive long enough but I'd have to cast my vote on my experience of thunderstorms being fairly consistent in the Southeast. Some are worse than others, sometimes there are a lot and sometimes not so often, but overall I can't personally attest to any significant noticeable change of pattern.
"Living is not necessary, but navigation is." --Pompey
"Navigation is necessary in order to live." --Me

DSKlausler
Centurio
Centurio

Post by DSKlausler » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:53 am

I grew up several miles from where I now reside... a different suburb.

Me, my brothers , and friends, would seek out the regular storms - bike riding and whatnot... even our early camping (in the midwest) had many storms. I almost got actually blown off my bike twice this year.
Anything is possible with the proper training.

Billy
Centurio
Centurio

Post by Billy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:39 pm

I recall more frequent thunderstorms in my youth, but with less severity, and lasting for shorter periods of time; along with momma's constant calls to, "Stay away from the windows! They're a lightning hazard." These past three-four years, I have taken notice of sudden, severe storms, dropping down buckets of rain, accompanied by tremendously loud claps of thunder and quite illuminating flashes of lightning. Practically lit the whole room up.
Last edited by Billy on Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:03 am

What I recall from youth (1960s) was that the weather was far more "consistent" than it is now... you did not have these 60-degree temperature swings in 24 hours, like we have now. Temperatures fluctuated, but not to these now-common extremes.

In New England, where I grew up, starting around the 4th of July you would get a late-afternoon thunderstorm that would last for about an hour. When I moved to Georgia, I found the same thing--except the storms lasted longer. Seemed to be a fairly consistent pattern on the east coast of the US.

I can remember playing in the back yard, and it would suddenly get quiet... so quiet, you would notice it. No birds, no wind... almost like there was an unspoken tension in the air. And you'd look up and see the dark clouds coming. Then the silence would be broken with a cold wind, that would flip the leaves on the trees upside down. About then, all the kids were yelling "RUN!!!" because you could feel the storm about to strike. You only had a couple minutes to get home and under cover, before the lightning flashed and the thunder roared, followed by a downpour. Then the rain would taper off and the evening sun would poke out again; the birds started their songs and the clunks and bangs of the neighbors doing things in the yard started up again. Fortunately, it usually happened around suppertime, so you could still go out and play after the storm.

What I notice these days is that those "precursors" seem to be missing... you cannot even tell when a thunderstorm is going to hit, until you hear the crash of thunder. And here in Utah, you get "thunder flurries" where you get thunder and lightning with snow (happened a couple nights ago), and rather than a downpour, you get a couple inches of sticky, wet snow in a very short time. It is a strange sight; thunder, lightning and snow just don't seem to "go together."

Most of the lightning here is sky-to-ground... massive bolts and loud booms. Only a few, but those will rattle the walls, then a severe downpour that will overwhelm the gutters in the streets. Then it is over. It is like an hour-long storm got compressed into 15 minutes.

I got curious about thunderstorms because my RS2 analysis of the origin of thunderstorms ISN'T "static electricity," but cosmic ray breakdown. More violent thunderstorms would indicate that the "walls" between the material and cosmic sectors have been made higher, so the crash is more violent. I first noticed the change in thunderstorms in the early 2000s... just a few years after chemtrails started being spotted regularly (I saw my first one in 1998). If these material/cosmic walls are being made higher--that WILL affect life, which requires that bridge between the sectors as a "life unit." I am trying to determine what those consequences are.
4 8 15 16 23 42

Andrew
Centurio
Centurio

Post by Andrew » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:37 pm

Most of the lightning here is sky-to-ground... massive bolts and loud booms. Only a few, but those will rattle the walls, then a severe downpour that will overwhelm the gutters in the streets. Then it is over. It is like an hour-long storm got compressed into 15 minutes.
I was basically going to say that I haven't observed much of a change between my youth and today in thunderstorms until this description. Pretty much here in FL we regularly get long durations of rain in the May-July range, where it will actually rain consistently and sometimes pretty heavily ("fat rain" like they say in Forrest Gump) for 45 minutes or so. Great time for the lakes to fill back up. Thunder and lightning don't necessarily accompany them every time. But when it turns July going into the autumn months, that's when you'll see the darkness coming, the lightning strikes and thunder, and then it pours for 20 minutes and chills out. Sometimes they can be very loud, but that depends on your location. The frequency of lightning strikes I can't attest to, maybe that's because we're the lightning capital of the world and we're used to it. It has been a little dry here so far this year though.

I don't think when I was in Utah I even looked up for chemtrails when it wasn't snowing, but I took this video last year of what they look like here in the morning hours. https://youtu.be/4eofVUTU2sM
"Classical historians traditionally dismiss tales of magic as unworthy of scholarly attention, but to us any mention of a witch's broomstick or wizard's wand evokes the smell of a scientist's laboratory." The Sphinx and the Megaliths

dave432
Centurio
Centurio

Post by dave432 » Tue May 16, 2017 12:10 pm

LoneBear wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:03 am
I can remember playing in the back yard, and it would suddenly get quiet... so quiet, you would notice it. No birds, no wind... almost like there was an unspoken tension in the air. And you'd look up and see the dark clouds coming. Then the silence would be broken with a cold wind, that would flip the leaves on the trees upside down
Now that takes me back. I'm remembering how the leaves would turn over and I new a storm was coming, and then the eerie silence that makes a sound -- it's so quiet you hear the silence. I would have just enough time to get inside. Great fun in those days.

I read somewhere (maybe here) that the spraying causes a drought first and eventually the atmosphere can't hold the moisture anymore and then there's a sudden downpour. I'm thinking of Jessup's sudden downpours right now but those were ships.

I'm definitely remembering a consistency factor with the weather. You could count on the atmosphere much more than you can now. Last week we had frost warnings requiring plants to be covered, I use these paper cones that are open on top so the plant can get air -- very effective if you like to plant in April, and today it's going to the upper 80s.

Could you explain more about these walls between the sectors? The space weather site is saying cosmic rays are up even though the sun is quiet.
"just down the road a little way, turn left, cross the drawbridge, and you will be my guest tonight."
-- directions to the grail castle. We'll have some toast.

joeyv23
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by joeyv23 » Tue May 16, 2017 3:39 pm

I've thought about this some over time and I think I can say that, yes, I can notice a difference from my early youth to more recently. Particularly what comes to mind is the string of storms that rolled through the Southeast a few years ago. And sometime near then, noticing how ridiculous the amount of water during a storm was falling. At one point I remember being with my friend driving down the road and having to stop because it was like being dumped on by a waterfall, as though a giant had taken a giant bucket, scooped the ocean up and was dumping it over on us. Not sure why I didn't think of this before, but again, yes, I have noticed a difference over time.
"Living is not necessary, but navigation is." --Pompey
"Navigation is necessary in order to live." --Me

mongo
Centurio
Centurio

Post by mongo » Wed May 17, 2017 10:05 am

I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago in the 50's-60's. We would sleep in the basement when the temperature got over 90 for maybe 3 days in August. Rest of the summer was in the 70-80's. Storms would last longer. More beginning, middle, and end to a storm. I remember lightning being less frequent. And, the sun was yellow. Can't remember the change in color, especially since I moved to Phoenix in '74. In the summer.

MrTwig
Centurio
Centurio

Post by MrTwig » Sun May 21, 2017 6:49 pm

OK, I had to check on cosmic rays after reading this and found this video which explains how science describes it. Fascinating stuff!

So what I understand from the conversations here is that maybe we are experiencing a more energetic thunderstorms because something has changed the balance of interactions from the two worlds. Time and Space. Our space world is different because something in time has changed. What could have caused that?