A place to conduct polls of the membership. Since voting on polls is a web-only system, there is no associated email list for this forum.

What content would you like information presented in?

The existing Drupal Book format.
15%
Downloadable PDF files.
77%
HTML5 web browser content.
8%
Other (please leave comment)
No votes

Total votes: 13

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:41 pm

Another new year is upon us, and I've been thinking of updating the main website again. It has gone through a number of iterations over the years, since I first created it back in 2001. Currently, it is in Drupal CMS format, which is a "content management system" that allows users to create and share content (posts, blogs, articles, stories, etc). All of the reference material on the main site is in Drupal "book" format, broken down by chapters.

I realize that technology has moved on without me... I'm not an iPad or cellphone user, and have never downloaded an "app" in my life. I understand there are easier ways to read information on the Internet, so I am asking... what format would you prefer to see content in?

Djchrismac
Cellarius
Cellarius

Re: Website: Content format

Post by Djchrismac » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:51 am

LoneBear wrote:Another new year is upon us, and I've been thinking of updating the main website again. It has gone through a number of iterations over the years, since I first created it back in 2001. Currently, it is in Drupal CMS format, which is a "content management system" that allows users to create and share content (posts, blogs, articles, stories, etc). All of the reference material on the main site is in Drupal "book" format, broken down by chapters.

I realize that technology has moved on without me... I'm not an iPad or cellphone user, and have never downloaded an "app" in my life. I understand there are easier ways to read information on the Internet, so I am asking... what format would you prefer to see content in?
I voted for PDF format papers as I can easily store and read these on my phone but it would be great if the site could be re-designed to be in html5 format for easy website reading on devices and future proofing but this would involve more work.

Currently Antiquatis doesn't display the best on my phone so as long as the site re-design is phone-friendly with a PDF download library i'll be well happy. :)

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:51 am

Djchrismac wrote:Currently Antiquatis doesn't display the best on my phone so as long as the site re-design is phone-friendly with a PDF download library i'll be well happy. :)
You must be reading my mind! I was just logging in to see if I should use a "responsive" design in the styling to add support for phones and tablets. I guess that would be a "yes."

Spaceman
Indagator
Indagator

Post by Spaceman » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:59 pm

I agree with a friendlier phone or mobile version. I manage the way it is, but an upgrade wouldn't hurt.
"To resist the influence of others, knowledge of ones self is most important." Teal'c

Djchrismac
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by Djchrismac » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:04 pm

LoneBear wrote:You must be reading my mind! I was just logging in to see if I should use a "responsive" design in the styling to add support for phones and tablets. I guess that would be a "yes."
Haha I told you this keeps happening!!

Lozion
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by Lozion » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:48 pm

Great look Bruce. More in line with CH which makes it easy to navigate both pages open next to each other. Good job :-)

edit: One thing I noticed though is when I click on view active topics, it doesnt show any threads which it should as obviously there are new posts but they dont show up.
In rapport we thrive, in rivalry we strive.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:02 pm

Lozion wrote:edit: One thing I noticed though is when I click on view active topics, it doesnt show any threads which it should as obviously there are new posts but they dont show up.
"Active" posts are topics that have received a certain number of updates, per a time period. It's like "popular" on a running average. I don't believe any of the current topics qualify, as the commenting frequency is not high enough.

The "View New Posts" will tell you the posts that have been updates since your last login, and "Unread" are the ones that you have not yet read.
Keeper of the Troth of Ásgarðr, Moriar prius quam dedecorer.

Lozion
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by Lozion » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:17 am

LoneBear wrote:
Lozion wrote:edit: One thing I noticed though is when I click on view active topics, it doesnt show any threads which it should as obviously there are new posts but they dont show up.
"Active" posts are topics that have received a certain number of updates, per a time period. It's like "popular" on a running average. I don't believe any of the current topics qualify, as the commenting frequency is not high enough.

The "View New Posts" will tell you the posts that have been updates since your last login, and "Unread" are the ones that you have not yet read.
Yes, I understand but there seems to be a bug, at CH, all threads that have had activity recently will show up but not here, cant see why that is the case unless the commenting frequency is different here then at CH.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:34 am

Lozion wrote:Yes, I understand but there seems to be a bug, at CH, all threads that have had activity recently will show up but not here, cant see why that is the case unless the commenting frequency is different here then at CH.
Looks like you're right... there was a bug introduced in the 3.0.5 update that messed up active topics. CH, being new, started well past that bug (3.0.10). I've applied the fix, and active topics should show up now. Thanks for pointing that out!
Keeper of the Troth of Ásgarðr, Moriar prius quam dedecorer.

Lozion
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by Lozion » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:05 pm

Ahhh sorted, nice! :D :D