Construction

Kheb is a monastery, remote but not secluded, where people can have an alternative to the mercantile system that is imposed upon society by our political and educational institutions. It is a physical PLACE, and this topic is to discuss the facilities, structures, accommodations, and other physical constructs needed to successfully implement the ideas behind the Sanctuary Project, as well as the "political" structures of a new type of monastic system.
LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Construction

Post by LoneBear » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:40 pm

You've seen the hexagonal construction design that Marshal Savage proposed in his Aquarius community in another post. I have also observed that nature likes to follow a similar, hexagonal growth pattern, where groves of trees are localized, with gaps to other groves forming triangles and hexes.

So, what kind of physical building structure would be most appropriate to "non-communal", communal living?

I've never liked the idea of community housing; I like my quiet and privacy. What kind of a design can be used to give people their "space", yet optimize the use of non-essential or limited use facilities?

For me, being a bit of the hermit, I like a bed, bathroom and a work area to do my studies in, well away from others so I can concentrate without being disturbed. Things like laundry, bathing or kitchen is not really a hard necessity to have right there on hand, except for perhaps a small fridge for something cold to drink.

Looking for ideas for the "perfect" design, where electrical use, water use and waste disposal can be centralized and convenient, yet also have provisions for different life styles, so people can have as much or as little privacy that they want.

If one were to centralize little-used facilities, such has kitchen, bath, medical, library, entertainment, etc., then how do you provide environmentally-friendly access during bad weather? Also taking into account that some of the community may be old or infirm, making "hoofing it" somewhat impractical in those circumstances.

I suppose it also begs the question as to what services the Sanctuary should have available? And also, what about guests versus permanent residents?

Starlight*
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by Starlight* » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:22 am

We had this discussion before, about community. This going to be an actual physical community?

Starlight*

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Housing and Community Buildings

Post by LoneBear » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:06 pm

My ideas on the concept of housing and common/public buildings:
  • Being an anarchist at heart, my vision would fall back to the older days, when people would team together to help build each others houses; with each house (or structure) a unique expression of the people living in it. "Pre-fab" structures are great for storing junk, but not for living in.
  • Of course, structures of this nature would tend to make the community more fixed, as people would establish homes, rather than than the nomadic campsites popular today with apartment complexes. I also consider a home a prerequisite to a healthy family life, and I am a strong believer that kids should NOT be raised by the state, but by their parents, grandparents, and mentors.
  • Each individual, couple, or family would have their own home, with the basic necessities, including an access terminal to the Internet. Shared resources for bulk food storage, animals, equipment would be housed in common buildings, and used on an as-needed basis.
  • We live in a diurnal world, with both a night and a day. It is unnatural to illuminate the night into day; not only does it interfere with the photosynthesis of plants, but changes the hunting practices of animals, possibly into conflict with humans. Communities would be dark at night, light in the day--no streetlights or floodlights. It wouldn't hurt for kids to see the Milky Way spanning the sky on a clear, winter night, and still wonder in awe on how it was created.
  • Outside noise would also be limited; machinery is designed to minimize pollution of air, water, noise and light.
  • Alternative energy source, wind, moving water, N-effect devices or Zero-point modules would be utilized to provide power for individual structures. No massive power grids, with their associated magnetic effects.
  • Inter-dwelling communication would be via fiber-optic cable, for communication purposes and a very long time between failures.
  • Physical transportation would be best done by a type of "Personal Rapid Transit", along the ideas of J. Edward Anderson's PRT system, where a small, public "car", probably on a rail or monorail system, can be used upon request to transport people and goods through a network. Personally, I think an underground tunnel system would be the best, but that could just be the "Elder" in me.

deepfsh
Cellarius
Cellarius

Re: Construction

Post by deepfsh » Sun May 11, 2014 2:27 pm

LoneBear wrote:For me, being a bit of the hermit, I like a bed, bathroom and a work area to do my studies in, well away from others so I can concentrate without being disturbed. Things like laundry, bathing or kitchen is not really a hard necessity to have right there on hand, except for perhaps a small fridge for something cold to drink.
Since I've gone to university, I found out I need a (small) home which will include the following (small / medium-size) spaces: bedroom (preferably separated from the room where the computer is located), study room (/"office"), dining room & kitchen (all in one), toilet & bathroom (all in one), (preferably) a balcony. Otherwise, at least the bedroom and the study room should be private, the rest of the spaces can be commonly shared.
LoneBear wrote:with each house (or structure) a unique expression of the people living in it.
For now, monolithic domes seem appealing and practical to me. Have you ever seen or made them, Bruce? Can you give an opinion about this type of (seemingly strong and stable) construction?
"You talk the talk ... do you walk the walk?" Kubrick, Full Metal Jacket

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Tue May 13, 2014 12:39 pm

deepfsh wrote:For now, monolithic domes seem appealing and practical to me. Have you ever seen or made them, Bruce? Can you give an opinion about this type of (seemingly strong and stable) construction?
I had a friend back in Georgia with a "dome home." Years ago, during one of my earlier Sanctuary attempts, I designed something similar except that it was an underground dome. Having had lived in an underground home of my own design, one of the things that you miss is the sky... so I modified my dome design so the top of the dome was above ground level and rather than a window, used a lens structure to focus the sky down to a convex mirror below, to bounce it back up and project the sky on the interior of the dome (my own "Hollow Earth," so to speak). It was a rather nifty idea, because you'd get the stars at night, as well. Only problem was that it was no where near bright enough.

Domes are exceptionally strong and very resistant to the forces of Nature. The biggest problem is that you don't have anything flat or square, so it makes interior design a real challenge, as tables, chairs, couches, cabinets, etc, are all flat.

I like the Monsanto "House of the Future" a lot--that was an amazing design (Click on link for house details). It is square enough on the inside to work with conventional interior design, round enough on the outside for strength and resistance to nature, and the best bit is the small footprint on the ground. People don't realize how much damage cities do to the substructure beneath them, by blocking the intake of water, changing the thermal gradient (hot roads), etc.

Domes are nice, but until I can get RS2 to "cube the sphere" (rather than square the circle), they are very difficult to work with.

And I LOVE the Monsanto house kitchen cabinets... you know how you can never reach anything in the top cabinets, well, rather than doors on the front they made the front and back sections of the cabinets slide down out of the bottom, bringing the shelves right in front of you. That was a brilliant idea. My hat is off to those designers.
4 8 15 16 23 42

joeyv23
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by joeyv23 » Thu May 15, 2014 4:49 am

LoneBear wrote:For me, being a bit of the hermit, I like a bed, bathroom and a work area to do my studies in, well away from others so I can concentrate without being disturbed. Things like laundry, bathing or kitchen is not really a hard necessity to have right there on hand, except for perhaps a small fridge for something cold to drink.
This is almost an identical response I'd give. I remember my friends' faces back in middle school when asked what I wanted to be when I grew up, and I responded.. A hermit!
LoneBear wrote:So, what kind of physical building structure would be most appropriate to "non-communal", communal living?

I've never liked the idea of community housing; I like my quiet and privacy. What kind of a design can be used to give people their "space", yet optimize the use of non-essential or limited use facilities?
LoneBear wrote:Personally, I think an underground tunnel system would be the best, but that could just be the "Elder" in me.
Here's what came to mind..

"Living is not necessary, but navigation is." --Pompey
"Navigation is necessary in order to live." --Me

Ilkka
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Ilkka » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:19 pm

LoneBear wrote:Domes are nice, but until I can get RS2 to "cube the sphere" (rather than square the circle), they are very difficult to work with.
What seems to be the problem here? I've been picturing cube and stuff inside it, also outside it. I've been wondering if "cube" could be made out of 8 pieces of tetrahedrons. Although I dont have physical materials to make it happen :D exept maybe alot of matches and glue. Maybe I shall try to create that thing or atleast 8x tetrahedrons.

Oh and I would like to know how is the Sanctuary project going on. Update or something on that, because I am getting tired of this constant unemployment in my country, too many unemployed laboratorians in the immediate area it seems. Also no promises in other areas. Maybe I could get a job for awhile, however the fact is that, nothing is more certain than uncertainty in the labour market. I see all sorts of things in the news about layingoffs and such so unemployment only increases in here, no wonder because of the European Union, which is the main cause of it with its regulations etc.
Enjoy the Silence

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:39 pm

Ilkka wrote:
LoneBear wrote:Domes are nice, but until I can get RS2 to "cube the sphere" (rather than square the circle), they are very difficult to work with.
What seems to be the problem here?
It was just an Alchemical joke... you should know my strange sense of humor by now!
Ilkka wrote:Oh and I would like to know how is the Sanctuary project going on. Update or something on that,....
We are meeting some rather substantial resistance, curiously enough. It appears that the old ways do not want to make room for new ideas.

I will post an update when I have something more substantial than I do at the moment.
4 8 15 16 23 42

joeyv23
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by joeyv23 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:44 pm

LoneBear wrote: It appears that the old ways do not want to make room for new ideas.
I read 'make room for' and see spatial dislpacement. Knowing that two things can't occupy the same space simultaneously, leads my line of thought to the idea that the old and new cannot coexist. The solution I'm getting has to do with timelines.. Get on track with T0 and continue our evolutionary track forward, or stay with T1 or T2 and continue fighting agaisnt the systems that be. The questions then become; Is this feasible for accomplishment, and if so, is shifting timlines simply the matter of focus that the New Age movement contests it to be or is there more involved?

Maybe I'm off base? Regardless, I look forward to the update LB!

deepfsh
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by deepfsh » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:06 am

LoneBear wrote:I like the Monsanto "House of the Future" a lot--that was an amazing design
New Taipei City, Taiwan: Sanzhi UFO/pod houses
Project Venus:
"You talk the talk ... do you walk the walk?" Kubrick, Full Metal Jacket

Ilkka
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Ilkka » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:01 am

deepfsh wrote:
LoneBear wrote:I like the Monsanto "House of the Future" a lot--that was an amazing design
This first picture reminds me of computer game called "UFO: Enemy Unknown" from mid 90s. It looks just like one middle class ships of enemy ships in the game.
Enjoy the Silence

kano
Discens
Discens

Post by kano » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:38 am

I've been looking into the shipping container idea for myself as a "cabin" in the woods. The base price of a container is around $2000. I think these containers (see link below) would have enough space for the mentioned "must haves" like bedroom, bathroom and study area. Often times these containers can be purchased for even cheaper since shipping them from one location to the next is cost prohibitive. I believe Bruce has a construction background and may have some insider knowledge on where to go to purchase these containers for even cheaper.

Retrofitting these containers with a compost latrine, which could be used as fertilizer for the common area gardens, and electricity would not be extremely expensive. Also, if you introduced solar power on some sort of net metering system, how vindicating would it be to have the power company cut a check back to the Monastery for supplying more energy to the grid than consumed per month?! If we were lucky enough to find a property for the Monastery with year round running water i.e., river or large stream, hydroelectric is also a possibility.

What do you think?

http://www.viralnova.com/shipping-container-homes/

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:58 am

kano wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:38 am
I believe Bruce has a construction background and may have some insider knowledge on where to go to purchase these containers for even cheaper.
$1500-2000 is about the going price for a shipping container. They are usually 8' wide, 8' tall and 20' long (160 sq feet floor space). There are a number of problems using them for housing, as they are metal and the "front door" locks from the outside. No usable doors or windows--would all have to be cut with a torch.
kano wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:38 am
Retrofitting these containers with a compost latrine, which could be used as fertilizer for the common area gardens, and electricity would not be extremely expensive.
Composting toilets need proper ventilation--they are not self-contained; the one I have uses 4" PVC vent piping and you still need proper air flow so the smell does not back up. And you will have to put in ventilation in a shipping container for both fresh air and a way to let any smoke out, when cooking. You would almost be better off spending $2000 for a DIY shed kit, which will come with proper siding, door and one or more windows.
4 8 15 16 23 42

kano
Discens
Discens

Post by kano » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:09 am

$1500-2000 is about the going price for a shipping container. They are usually 8' wide, 8' tall and 20' long (160 sq feet floor space). There are a number of problems using them for housing, as they are metal and the "front door" locks from the outside. No usable doors or windows--would all have to be cut with a torch.
How about yurts? They can be set up for similar cost to shipping containers and still offer the needed amenities without the same drawbacks.
Composting toilets need proper ventilation--they are not self-contained; the one I have uses 4" PVC vent piping and you still need proper air flow so the smell does not back up. And you will have to put in ventilation in a shipping container for both fresh air and a way to let any smoke out, when cooking. You would almost be better off spending $2000 for a DIY shed kit, which will come with proper siding, door and one or more windows.
The PVC piping and ventilation is relatively inexpensive for a compositing toilet and shouldn't add a huge amount to the bottom line of a yurt. Maybe yurts are a viable option. Additionally, they can be moved around as needed pretty easily as the Kheb property matures and configuration changes may be required.

kano
Discens
Discens

Post by kano » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:43 am

I remembered someone saying (maybe Joey or Austin) that they were going to look at some land for the Monastery soon. Just wondering if that happened and what the result was. Where was it? Was it a good fit?

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:36 am

kano wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:43 am
I remembered someone saying (maybe Joey or Austin) that they were going to look at some land for the Monastery soon. Just wondering if that happened and what the result was. Where was it? Was it a good fit?
From what I hear, they found some and it is an excellent fit. I wasn't a part of it, so they will have to tell you more.
4 8 15 16 23 42

Andrew
Centurio
Centurio

Post by Andrew » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:29 pm

RegenVillages looks interesting. An off-the-grid design for a sustainable "nexus of food, water, energy and waste at the neighborhood scale." Looks like vertical gardening is a feature.
"Classical historians traditionally dismiss tales of magic as unworthy of scholarly attention, but to us any mention of a witch's broomstick or wizard's wand evokes the smell of a scientist's laboratory." The Sphinx and the Megaliths

joeyv23
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by joeyv23 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:22 pm

LoneBear wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:36 am
kano wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:43 am
From what I hear, they found some and it is an excellent fit. I wasn't a part of it, so they will have to tell you more.
Cross posting for future reference and redundancy's sake.. if you haven't seen it yet, check the 'Developing Community' thread for the most recent updates. viewtopic.php?p=15453#p15453