Working Together

Kheb is a monastery, remote but not secluded, where people can have an alternative to the mercantile system that is imposed upon society by our political and educational institutions. It is a physical PLACE, and this topic is to discuss the facilities, structures, accommodations, and other physical constructs needed to successfully implement the ideas behind the Sanctuary Project, as well as the "political" structures of a new type of monastic system.
LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Working Together

Post by LoneBear » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:29 am

If we are going to work together on a monastic project, it might be nice to get some understanding of what prevents people from working together.

Society, in general, is becoming over-socialized and hedonistic. I've been observing the "big city" here for a year now, and found that most of the social groups only exist to complain about others. There is no exchange of knowledge or ideas--the bulk of the time is spent complaining about other social groups, or the members of the social group that are not present. Even at the fitness center, I am always hearing women on the treadmill yacking, "Well, then Shirley had the nerve to tell Pat that Mary said she couldn't cook, even if she was sleeping with Brenda's ex-boyfriend who was a chef." (I think they get more points for each level of indirection.)

A lot of this is a result of over-socialization, where society is simply doing too much for the individual and taking away the control of over their own survival, resulting in hedonism--to try to feel alive. I suggest reading Industrial Society and Its Futureon the main site (log in first), and get an understanding of what the author calls the "power process."

I did an analysis on social systems, some years ago: History of Social Systems and have found that we've drifted somewhat from the traditional concept, primarily due to the degenerating quality of education.

I find that my personal difficulty in working together with others is over-socialization, which is probably why I am antisocial. If you look at the table in the referenced paper, the Social System:
  • Gives life predictability.
  • Keeps new learning to a minimum.
  • Forces interaction through competition, conflict and exchange (systems of rivalry).
Rapport is exactly the opposite, so it is no wonder that people with an ethical consciousness tend to be antisocial! When working in rapport, you tend to be dynamic to find the needs of growth (constant change--unpredictable). That constant change requires you to adapt to the new situations (adaption is intelligent behavior), so new learning is at a maximum. Interaction is voluntary through cooperation. This is what I defined as the "Group" in the table, though the word "group" is not really a good label for the concept.

Considering this from an ethical perspective, I have these "internal rules" that I try to run my life by:
  • Say what you mean, and mean what you say.
  • Duty, honor and responsibility go together.
  • Honor any commitment you make. In other words, be true to your word--if you SAY you will do something, DO IT. This is probably the #1 failing I've seen with people over the course of my life. Many people will make a commitment, then dishonor it.
  • Engaging in rapport means you have a duty to assist others.
  • Take responsibility for your actions. If you make a mistake--don't hide it, fix it.
  • Use compassion in all your decisions.
  • Be moderate (or conservative) in your use of resources. That way, there is always a surplus.
  • Leave things in better condition than you found them.
This is basically what I've come to expect from those that I work with on projects. So I am now wondering, is that too much to expect from a group that is working together on a monastic community?
4 8 15 16 23 42

Obzistian
Centurio
Centurio

Re: Working Together

Post by Obzistian » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:25 am

LoneBear wrote:If we are going to work together on a monastic project, it might be nice to get some understanding of what prevents people from working together.
Mainly, a lack of honesty. For some reason, modern society has been steered, by both religious and political fear of consequences.
There is a misconception about responsibility, I have had this throughout my life as well.
It has been propagated by the "powers that be".
To take responsibility for an action IS to make it conscious, this is exactly what "they" do not want,
because it limits their control.
"Believe in yourself" has become "lie to yourself about the reality of things" BeLIEve.
If I can make you believe something is true, then I can avoid the consequences of the truth.
In reality though, you cannot avoid those consequences and those consequences become the very thing(s)
that prevents people from working together, in true harmony.
Karmic debt is actually created and reciprocally, must be "compensated for", before rapport can even be built.
LoneBear wrote:Rapport is exactly the opposite, so it is no wonder that people with an ethical consciousness tend to be antisocial! When working in rapport, you tend to be dynamic to find the needs of growth (constant change--unpredictable). That constant change requires you to adapt to the new situations (adaption is intelligent behavior), so new learning is at a maximum. Interaction is voluntary through cooperation. This is what I defined as the "Group" in the table, though the word "group" is not really a good label for the concept.

Considering this from an ethical perspective, I have these "internal rules" that I try to run my life by:
  • Say what you mean, and mean what you say.
  • Duty, honor and responsibility go together.
  • Honor any commitment you make. In other words, be true to your word--if you SAY you will do something, DO IT. This is probably the #1 failing I've seen with people over the course of my life. Many people will make a commitment, then dishonor it.
  • Engaging in rapport means you have a duty to assist others.
  • Take responsibility for your actions. If you make a mistake--don't hide it, fix it.
  • Use compassion in all your decisions.
  • Be moderate (or conservative) in your use of resources. That way, there is always a surplus.
  • Leave things in better condition than you found them.
This is basically what I've come to expect from those that I work with on projects. So I am now wondering, is that too much to expect from a group that is working together on a monastic community?
No, this is not too much to expect, but 99.99% of people are not at this ethical state of being.
It is not that they are not capable of it, its just that the system of rivalry we live in, will not allow it.
The misunderstanding is that I will not get what I want if I am not "outdoing" everyone else.
Even goes so far as "I cannot survive, if I cannot get what I want".
I also find it interesting, rivalry is driven by(unconscious, mostly) and promotes passion; whereas,
a rapport develops(conscious interaction) compassion.
Interactive Intelligence coordinates movement in harmony with its nature.

Obzistian
Centurio
Centurio

Re: Working Together

Post by Obzistian » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:35 am

LoneBear wrote:Rapport is exactly the opposite, so it is no wonder that people with an ethical consciousness tend to be antisocial! When working in rapport, you tend to be dynamic to find the needs of growth (constant change--unpredictable). That constant change requires you to adapt to the new situations (adaption is intelligent behavior), so new learning is at a maximum.
I just realized that there exists also a reciprocal relationship between a system based on rivalry
and a system based on rapport, in that they "seem" to be opposite, at a minimum and then a maximum
on a 'learning curve' that can still be plotted in 3 dimensions. Rapport being at the 'limit boundary'
where you can change, adapt and grow at "light speed or greater than", which is where you need
to be in order to make the next leap in conscious evolution.
Interactive Intelligence coordinates movement in harmony with its nature.