Physical or Virtual community?

Kheb is a monastery, remote but not secluded, where people can have an alternative to the mercantile system that is imposed upon society by our political and educational institutions. It is a physical PLACE, and this topic is to discuss the facilities, structures, accommodations, and other physical constructs needed to successfully implement the ideas behind the Sanctuary Project, as well as the "political" structures of a new type of monastic system.
LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Physical or Virtual community?

Post by LoneBear » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:10 pm

The idea of Sanctuary being a physical place where people work and study together, along the lines of James Hilton's Shangri-la, is what I have always intended for such a community. Others feel that a virtual community, based on cell phones and Internet, would work just as well.

I found this interesting quote in Keely's writings, where he sidetracked a bit talking about how resonance occurs in an aggregate--the whole body tends to vibrate or harmonize as one--and applied it to people working together. But all it takes is one discordant vibration to start shaking the whole thing apart.
John Ernst Worrell Keely wrote:In order to protect ourselves effectually from becoming the dispensers or propagators of deadly force, we must consciously and deliberately relate ourselves by resolute determination, to awaken within us such centers only as are concordantly sympathetic with all force radiating in the interest of universal goodwill, thereby aiding the establishment of universal brotherhood.

All ye who feel a longing for a better life or nobler existence draw to yourselves streams of force which they alone feel who have attuned their bodies to the higher harmonies. For a moment you feel as they who dwell perpetually in communion with higher harmonies, living immersed in that higher force; they are the true heirophants, and you, O neophytes, struggling to attain the goal which they have reached, do not despair though at present you find yourselves unable to maintain this high altitude for long together. Though you fall many times, be not discouraged, for as yet your organisms and all their centers of resonation are not yet concordant to the focalized vibrations of the higher harmonies; being still related to the mass, you are drawn again and again into the whirlpool of the vibrations which affect the mass, for these you cannot resist. But know that you can change all this rapidly or slowly as your purpose is steadily intense or vacillating.
Virtual communities over electronic media will never be the same as physically working together, where one can experience the totality of "vibes" from another.

I suspect that those in power have known this for a long time, to force people into common ideology or to keep them from getting together to fight a common enemy.

In my opinion, Sanctuary must be a physical place. People don't need to be crammed together in a single household or "commune" system; it can be reasonably distributed, which is probably a good idea, because people also need their privacy. But people need the capacity to get together regularly to work, face-to-face, whether that be to bring in a harvest, perform music, or just exchanging ideas.

Let me ask of the musicians here... does a band sound just as good playing together at a stadium, or having each instrument hooked to the internet, and played over a computer's speakers? How do the 'vibes' differ? I, for one, prefer live music anytime over recordings.

That's what Keely's point is. People "vibe". In the old days, the scientists called it an aetheric vibration, either sympathetic or discordant. He also points out that the more instruments in a band, the less effect one, poor player has upon the music. The problem these days is that discordance is encouraged... "just giving you a hard time." The harmony can no longer be heard over the screaming voices of the singers of chaos.

So with Sanctuary, "listen to the music, and not the song."