Symbol and Name

Kheb is a monastery, remote but not secluded, where people can have an alternative to the mercantile system that is imposed upon society by our political and educational institutions. It is a physical PLACE, and this topic is to discuss the facilities, structures, accommodations, and other physical constructs needed to successfully implement the ideas behind the Sanctuary Project, as well as the "political" structures of a new type of monastic system.
LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Symbol and Name

Post by LoneBear » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:09 pm

During my studies of "magic" and the other realm, it has become apparent that symbol and name play an important role in the basis of any grand undertaking, like the Sanctuary Project. It took me years to get the Elder Race logo (top right) to where it felt "right". But now I find we need some symbols and labels for the projects we are undertaking.

"Names" differ from "labels" in the respect of the amount of information contained. A name (Ra's "vibrational sound complex") represents the entirety of a pattern; to know a name is to have power over it (and it over you). The label, however, is more like one of the icons on your computer screen--an abbreviation of the name that is easily recognized, contains a summary of information, and can be used to access the more defined properties contained in a name. According to my research, "names" are ususally in one of the root languages, like Sanskrit, because of the power developed over time from archetypal use.

Symbols are graphic representations of names or labels; iconographic symbols are "icons", representing a summary, whereas Yantras are the more detailed versions.

We currently have two phases to the Sanctuary Project, the "Hogwarts" school and the holistic community. My original work from the early 1980s just had the community aspect, with teach/learn as in integral part of it. I named that place, Brei

Arcelius
Atriensis
Atriensis

Re: Symbol and Name

Post by Arcelius » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:55 am

LoneBear wrote:"Hogwarts" is a trademark that we cannot use, so we would need a name for the "magic school", preferably in a root language.
How about Eos (Roman = Aurora -- Greek Goddess of the Dawn)? I haven't noticed Eos being used much and being a Greek Titaness, I thought she may fit somewhere.

Or Asha (Sanskrit for the Yin/Feminine aspect of life -- am I close Gopi?).
lonebear wrote:We also need symbols to represent both school and community; "colors" to show, which should be linked with each other and the Antiquus quadrated-L symbol. I am open to suggestions!
Perhaps a cat/owl/dragon's eye starting to be opened and radiate? Perhaps a name should be chosen before picking a symbol.
Lonebear wrote:As a secondary thought, it might be interesting to have a leitmotif as well, a "school song" or piece of music that can be attributed to the project. I'm not a very musical person, but I know we have several music experts here on the forum, so I'm hoping they can provide some input.
We would run into copyright issues if we attempt to use anyone else's music. For something like that, a fresh composition may be best. Is there anyone on the board who composes music?

Alluvion
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by Alluvion » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:04 am

I propose we do not start out with a name, or start out with symbol or song, but instead discover these things as work into this.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:33 pm

aluxon wrote:How about Eos (Roman = Aurora -- Greek Goddess of the Dawn)? I haven't noticed Eos being used much and being a Greek Titaness, I thought she may fit somewhere.
Cointreau would find this interesting... he got his teaching job in Aurora! I'll look in to the etymology of it.
aluxon wrote:Perhaps a cat/owl/dragon's eye starting to be opened and radiate? Perhaps a name should be chosen before picking a symbol.
Doesn't really work for me; the "all seeing eye" and serpentine references (slitted eyes) are popular with the New World Order. Maybe a "third eye" would be workable, if a good way to express it could be found.
aluxon wrote:We would run into copyright issues if we attempt to use anyone else's music. For something like that, a fresh composition may be best. Is there anyone on the board who composes music?
I know BlueEagle is into music, and I believe Vishnu has is own music group and is a composer.
Alluvion wrote:I propose we do not start out with a name, or start out with symbol or song, but instead discover these things as work into this.
I think 25 years is well beyond "starting out"... I started this project back in 1983! I need a way to iconify these concepts accurately, particularly with the graphic capability of the Internet.

Gopi
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Gopi » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:20 am

I have been thinking of the name:

Swayampraj
It is time.

Arcelius
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Arcelius » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:49 pm

Lonebear wrote:
aluxon wrote:Perhaps a cat/owl/dragon's eye starting to be opened and radiate? Perhaps a name should be chosen before picking a symbol.
Doesn't really work for me; the "all seeing eye" and serpentine references (slitted eyes) are popular with the New World Order. Maybe a "third eye" would be workable, if a good way to express it could be found.
I wasn't thinking of the activities/symbology of the New World Order but agree that using similar symbols would not be a good idea. If it is too similar to what another organization uses, it may be confused with it. On the third eye, perhaps something with an amethyst crystal cluster backdrop or a deep blue waterfall (or other flowing water).
Lonebear wrote:I know BlueEagle is into music, and I believe Vishnu has is own music group and is a composer.
Wow! Then they will also be able to play the tune.

Alluvion
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by Alluvion » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:08 pm

Alluvion wrote:I propose we do not start out with a name, or start out with symbol or song, but instead discover these things as work into this.
I think 25 years is well beyond "starting out"... I started this project back in 1983! I need a way to iconify these concepts accurately, particularly with the graphic capability of the Internet.[/quote]

So! its alllll about you, huh!

well, if you started this on november 11, 1983 specifically it might also be about me! : )

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:21 am

Gopi wrote:Swayampraj
I like the concept; how do you pronounce it?

Gopi
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Gopi » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:36 pm

LoneBear wrote:I like the concept; how do you pronounce it?
:)

Swa: As in swirl.
yam: As in yummy.
pra: As in cuprum.
j
It is time.

Gopi
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Gopi » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:11 pm

Some Titles: