Structural Model

Kheb is a monastery, remote but not secluded, where people can have an alternative to the mercantile system that is imposed upon society by our political and educational institutions. It is a physical PLACE, and this topic is to discuss the facilities, structures, accommodations, and other physical constructs needed to successfully implement the ideas behind the Sanctuary Project, as well as the "political" structures of a new type of monastic system.
LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Structural Model

Post by LoneBear » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:26 pm

My research into the schools of mystery have taught me a few things.

First, one needs to be both local AND non-local, for optimum effectiveness. In other words, several, diverse locations that are connected through some kind of exchange medium, like the Internet.

Basically, we need multiple, physical "schools" with a similar curriculum. As to where to find the right spot, I found this quote to be right on the mark:
Secret of the Andes wrote:The pilgrims had been given several signs so that they might recognize their Retreat. Briefly, these were:

An area of magnificent natural beauty; a place of peace and tranquility where blood has never been shed; a location with abundant, clean, pure water; a near-by rushing stream or river; a place where vegetables and fruits could be grown in soil uncontaminated by chemical fertilizers and sprays; a land of happy, contented people who are apart from the Outer world, yet in it.
Second, locality must be in discrete levels; you can't have kindergarten in with 2nd year college physics. There needs to be a scholastic-like community structure, based on interest and experience. In Thea Alexander's book, "2150 AD", they used a color-coded system of robes, to indicate degree. I know the current trend is to bring down "barriers", but when you look at it, the universe is discrete... quantum levels, densities, rays... it all isn't a wash of white.

The basic system religious orders use is the Priors (like the Mormon or Christian missionaries), the "flock" that tithes and gives to the church, then the inner sanctum where all the secrets are revealed. I don't particularly care for this system, as I believe that knowledge should be available to those who can find it. Though as a caveat to that, there is a "right time and a right place" to knowledge. Things told at the wrong time, place or conditions are often misunderstood.

From what we now know from studies like Spiral Dynamics, there is a discrete valuing system (the memes) inherent in the design of the human mind. I think that is a good way to determine "grade level" and "tier". There is a type of "unit boundary" between tier 1 and tier 2, and it is pretty obvious when someone crosses it. I would see a primary split between the seekers (students) and the devotees (teachers); students advance until they become teachers.

Each class within the system should not be "grade" based, but prerequisite knowledge based. If you have passed the prerequisites, or can demonstrate knowledge/ability to the teacher, you can take the class. And I would also suggest the old Pythagorean technique of "auditing" a class... taking the class, but just there to listen, not participate, because you don't have the prerequisites to make "informed questions." Sounds a little rough, but it did a wonders for the quality of Pythagoras' students.

Thirdly is the mode of presentation to the outside world. I say "no" to "recruiting" or "conversion". I have no problem with putting up a sign, "Psychiatric Help - 5 cents" and waiting for customers, but one should not actively recruit or try to convince someone that they should "join up" via any of the control dramas. It needs to be an informed, free will choice if someone wants to get involved, either as a seeker or devotee. Sanctuary is not a "mission"... it is an "option" to those who don't want to play the game.

Arcelius
Atriensis
Atriensis

Re: Structural Model

Post by Arcelius » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:59 pm

LoneBear wrote:The basic system religious orders use is the Priors (like the Mormon or Christian missionaries), the "flock" that tithes and gives to the church, then the inner sanctum where all the secrets are revealed. I don't particularly care for this system, as I believe that knowledge should be available to those who can find it. Though as a caveat to that, there is a "right time and a right place" to knowledge. Things told at the wrong time, place or conditions are often misunderstood.
In a typical magical society, there is usually a 3-tier system. There is the outer sanctum where people can study to see if they really want this. People here may be in tier-1. There is the inner sanctum of people who have made a choice to follow this path and continue to progress along it. People here may be in tier-2. As well not everything is automatically revealed at this point. However, it is a milestone of the scope of understanding that one may have. Then there is the "holy-of-holies" for lack of a better term. Some of those from the inner sanctum who have mastered a minimum degree of proficiency may be selected to govern for a time. Those governing govern mostly the physical aspects of the community to allow the others to focus on their spiritual pursuits. It is only for a period of time and then that responsibility will be passed/shared with others (perhaps a rotating schedule).

Spiral dynamics captures the difference between tier-1 and tier-2. Once inside tier-2 though, there is somewhat less guidance as to what would a good system. The above might be a starting point for discussion.