Lost in Space (2018 TV series)

Discussion of Science Fiction motifs, symbols and allegory.
LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Lost in Space (2018 TV series)

Post by LoneBear » Tue May 01, 2018 10:50 am

Spoilers follow...

I just watched a couple episodes of the newest "remake" (aka "re-envisioned") version of the 1965 Sci-Fi series, Lost in Space. I'm sure Irwin Allen is turning in his grave over this one... the original series was sold as "Swiss Family Robinson in space," which was one of the classic films that I grew up with. This is nothing like it... it is just another "we screwed up Earth and need to colonize another planet to screw that one up, too" film.

Though I will admit that the family interaction is far better than the 1998 movie version, it still expresses a broken family as John Robinson (Toby Stephens) is a Marine ranger, not a scientist, that went off to deal with a war-torn Earth rather than take care of his family. One of the key plot points in the story is his attempt to mend his family issues. I was quite surprised by Stephen's acting skills here... does an excellent portrayal of the emotional tear that forms between military service and family/friends.

They drastically altered the other characters, too. Don West has gone from being a Major and assistant to Prof. Robinson, to a smuggler, though does overcome ego on occasion to help others. Maureen is the opposite from her original character, now pushy and overbearing, with a "chip on her shoulder" for John. Judy is from Marueen's first marriage and is a doctor and actually has a significant part in the series (unlike the original, where she was "just there.") Penny is an author, not a zoologist, envious of her sister and the "grunt" of the family--always getting stuck with the extra work. They dumbed-down Will quite a bit, to where his mom had to bribe someone to change his test results so he could go on the trip. And then there's the Robot... an alien killing machine that caused the crashes of 20+ Jupiter ships that had a "change of heart" through a "Androcles and the Lion" incident with Will. And the only thing he can say is, "Danger, Will Robinson!" And no "bubble head" for bubble-headed booby comments.

And that brings me to Dr. Smith... who is now a woman--an ego-centric scumbag that scammed and murdered her way onto the mission and is masquerading as a psychologist. None of the subtleties of Jonathan Harris' original character--and none of the "big word" use that he was known for, my pusillanimous puppet.

This follows the same pattern of having major, male roles being played by women, such as Starbuck on Battlestar Galactica. I did not understand why they keep doing that, until I watched that David Icke video yesterday, where he was discussing the gender flip of the Sun, with the arrival of the Moon (of the Gods), to take focus off of the Sun and place the generative principle on the Moon--the generation of a New World Order. (I still do not understand why they are pushing the "gender reversal" agenda so hard... women acting like men, men acting like women... to me, it seems in opposition to "natural consequence.") The show completely lacks the comedic subtext that the original had.

I'll watch the first season, though it is no longer "Swiss Family"... there are a bunch of surviving colonists from a number of Jupiter ships, not just one family. IMHO, that, alone, defeats Irwin Allen's original concept of the show.
Keeper of the Troth of Ásgarðr, Moriar prius quam dedecorer.

DSKlausler
Centurio
Centurio

Re: Lost in Space (2018 TV series)

Post by DSKlausler » Wed May 02, 2018 5:30 am

LoneBear wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 10:50 am
Spoilers follow...

I just watched a couple episodes of the newest "remake" (aka "re-envisioned") version of the 1965 Sci-Fi series, Lost in Space. I'm sure Irwin Allen is turning in his grave over this one...
Someone, somewhere, mentioned that this show was "good".

Wow.

Toby Stephens [acting] is good - even better in Black Sails.

That's it.

Preposterous "human" interactions. Contrived EVERYTHING. Annoyingly simplistic.

For a measure on what [series] I do like... although the sex is questionable, I find the dialogue and human interactions well done in what I recently stumbled upon: Californication. I also thought Gillian Anderson was superb in The Fall. I also watched all of The Killing.

Nothing beats Jean-Luc Picard.
Anything is possible with the proper training.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Thu May 03, 2018 10:04 am

DSKlausler wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 5:30 am
Someone, somewhere, mentioned that this show was "good".
The show has serious problems with basic science... like it being 60 degrees below zero and the family is walking around with their helmets off--and no breath can even be seen. I've been out in 30-below (F) back in Wyoming... as I'm sure you know, you cannot have ANY exposed flesh.

That's "par for the course" these days. I was watching some action-adventure film the other day when fixing my neighbor's Netflix... some chase going on and any time there was a car collision, the cars would explode in a huge fireball. Really... like everyone is driving around with their back seats loaded with C-4.

Though I think my favorite was from some SyFy flick where a kid fixes a dead battery in a car by hooking a piece of wire to a spark plug to catch a lightning bolt, as his girl looks on in admiration saying how brilliant he was.

Finished the 1st season; episodes are all basically the same: somebody does something dumb (act of ego) and the rest of the time is spent getting them out of the predicament. Given how often the actors are covered in blood, it reminded me quite a bit of a variant of "The 100." Difference here is that Lost in Space is family-centric, rather than centered on individuals.
DSKlausler wrote:
Not seen it, but will take a look. Rare to find a good, Shakespearean actor these days--something I appreciate.
DSKlausler wrote:
Preposterous "human" interactions. Contrived EVERYTHING. Annoyingly simplistic.
Something else I noticed was the lack of expression in the younger actors. The body language and facial expressions are missing. I remember in the original series, one look at Will's expression (Bill Mumy) and you knew exactly what he was planning--without a word. Now, all you have is words. Same thing I've noticed in the younger generation--ALL TALK, talk about the talk, talk about talking about the talk... but never any physical action.

I am puzzled as to why they keep doing "remakes" of old shows... particularly since the remake has little in common with the originals. It seems they are just "name dropping," without any consideration of the original show concept. Perhaps it is to just "cover up" the originals on the Internet with trite nonsense. After all, cannot have young people learning things like responsibility or ethics, can we?
Keeper of the Troth of Ásgarðr, Moriar prius quam dedecorer.

DSKlausler
Centurio
Centurio

Post by DSKlausler » Fri May 04, 2018 5:18 am

LoneBear wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 10:04 am
I am puzzled as to why they keep doing "remakes" of old shows... particularly since the remake has little in common with the originals.
Anyone writing with any real wit would have a field day with just about every aspect of government and society... can't allow that.
LoneBear wrote:
It seems they are just "name dropping," without any consideration of the original show concept.
Agreed
LoneBear wrote:
Perhaps it is to just "cover up" the originals on the Internet with trite nonsense. After all, cannot have young people learning things like responsibility or ethics, can we?
Bingo.

---------------

I'm going to pat myself on the back now... of all the traits of my grown children, I think that I managed to impart ethical responsibility.
Anything is possible with the proper training.

Ilkka
Praefectus
Praefectus

Post by Ilkka » Fri May 04, 2018 7:13 am

DSKlausler wrote:
For a measure on what [series] I do like... although the sex is questionable, I find the dialogue and human interactions well done in what I recently stumbled upon: Californication.
I liked Black Sails which ended last year with 4 seasons and 38 episodes. Although Toby Stephens was sort of awkward in few kissing scenes I didnt get the vibe that he was too into kissing a male actor, sort of passionless, almost like forced. Otherwise he was good. I dont blame him I wouldn't probably even do such a thing, kiss a guy I mean, somehow I dont like kissing that much. Cant tell why, but it just isnt my "thing".

I am currently rewatching Californication and laughing my arse off of some sexual comedy that it has. Very good.
One other thing that weirds me out in american TV shows and movies is that, they like to do alot of kissing on the forehead and the hair/head for the loved ones, we in this side of the puddle do not do that stuff to our loved ones to, we have hugs for that thing, that I know of. Maybe few people might do that thing, but I havent seen it anywhere here.

Haven't seen this new Lost in Space series and judging from these posts I dont plan on to even. I settle for "The 100" which to my knowledge just started its last season few weeks ago.
Enjoy the Silence

sovert
Indagator
Indagator

Post by sovert » Fri May 04, 2018 4:17 pm

DSKlausler wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 5:18 am
LoneBear wrote:
I am puzzled as to why they keep doing "remakes" of old shows... particularly since the remake has little in common with the originals.
Anyone writing with any real wit would have a field day with just about every aspect of government and society... can't allow that.

Rick & Morty fits that bill quite squarely.
Curiously, it was just canceled after 3 seasons of enormous popularity

Ilkka
Praefectus
Praefectus

Post by Ilkka » Sat May 05, 2018 1:59 pm

sovert wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 4:17 pm
Rick & Morty fits that bill quite squarely.
Curiously, it was just canceled after 3 seasons of enormous popularity
I didnt see it being canceled only delayed in https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/rick ... otiations/ with no further info this month, so I would like to know if there is some other site that has more accurate info on this subject. It would be a huge bummer if they actually canceled the show since it is so darn good, so much better than "Family guy" which I have totally stopped watching after season 15 started too much repetition of the main character being a jerk recently.
Enjoy the Silence

Ilkka
Praefectus
Praefectus

Rick and Morty is back

Post by Ilkka » Sat May 12, 2018 2:25 pm

Just had to put this here for you who thought it was cancelled. I rejoice this is good news. Hope that they keep the quality up though if so then we can expect that time passes more because of creativity that eats it up. Art takes time, but I can wait. Then again I cant wait :D I understand their point of view though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGr678_DCE0
Enjoy the Silence