Guide for study guides

Forum for the sharing and discussion of various research projects going on.
Little Dragon

Guide for study guides

Post by Little Dragon » Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:03 pm

Changes in bold

It should provide a systematic "pathway" to increased understanding.

I see an actual "study guide" as being any or all of the following:

1) A distillation of the most important material, an example would be the Ra Law of One study guide.

2) A list of references to the work in a particular area, hopefully arranged in some kind of ascending order of complexity.

3) An interpretation of the material in the references if you think you're up to it.

4) Excepts from discussions on this forum.

5) ???

A study guide should:

1) Pass the ignoramus test, (Which will be admistered by someone who is well qualifide to do this, ME.) and a second tier peer review.

2) Present foundational material first and then build on it.

Consideration must be given as to how far "down" you should start. Who do you want to reach? Personally, I would like you to consider it to be a Limbo contest, "How low can you go?" so that it will benefit the greatest number people.

3) Try to illustrate the principles of the Law of One.

4) Be Integral. (OK, I'm still trying to assimilate that concept, hopefully the study guides will help me do that, so let's just say, Find Harmony in Diversity.)

5) Provide an impetus for further independent study and thought.

6) A study guide need not be perfect. It doesn't need to be the end all and be all of study guides. It can be modified and added to later. A journey starts with a single step.

7) ???
Last edited by Little Dragon on Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Re: Updated guide to study guides

Post by LoneBear » Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:26 pm

Little Dragon wrote: Changes in bold
You also have the option of editing your old post, to keep it to a single document. If you check the "Sticky" box when posting a new topic, it will stay at the head of the list (normally, the list is arranged by the most active topics). When you are comfortable with a first draft, I recommend you put it out on the Anla'shok web page.
Little Dragon wrote:It should provide a systematic "pathway" to increased understanding.
The difficulty here is that everyone's pathway is unique, and from my experience, the further along the path you go, the more unique it becomes.
Little Dragon wrote:1) A distillation of the most important material, an example would be the Ra Law of One study guide.
Remember the vMemes and Tiers... one person's "important" is anothers "irrelevant," depending on where their values currently reside. Perhaps you need to qualify "importance" by determining which vMeme considers it "important," and where the path leads from that point.
Little Dragon wrote:2) A list of references to the work in a particular area, hopefully arranged in some kind of ascending order of complexity.
I can set you up with a "reference" database, if you want to make the determination on how classification and arrangement should be made. We have MySQL available on the system.
Little Dragon wrote:3) An interpretation of the material in the references if you think you're up to it.
This is pretty much in-line with some thoughts GhostCat and myself have been working on for a new web site interface. Commenting tags, ratings, and profiling information to provide optimal access to information. Zen contributed the "topic map" idea to this, which I am currently researching. See the "Unicom" forum for further discussion.
Little Dragon wrote:1) Pass the ignoramus test, (Which will be admistered by someone who is well qualifide to do this, ME.) and a second tier peer review.
In my early days of programming, there was a saying, "write a piece of software that every idiot can use, and every idiot will use it." I realize that schools these days are nothing more than corporate indoctrination camps, and actually teach very little. Carefully consider where you set your sites... if everything passes the ignoramus test...?
Little Dragon wrote:2) Present foundational material first and then build on it.
I would formalize this more with postulates, so that anything not explicitly stated in the postulates would be considered assumption. It helps to clarify the premises of a topic on which you build.
Little Dragon wrote:Consideration must be given as to how far "down" you should start. Who do you want to reach? Personally, I would like you to consider it to be a Limbo contest, "How low can you go?" so that it will benefit the greatest number people.
I would suggest another approach. Rather than a Limbo contest, consider it a "high jump", with the bar set to a minimum that the spiritual athlete must clear, before he can reach for the higher levels. This connects with properly defined postulates -- the postulates determine the bar height. If you want a challenge, take the higher levels. Not everyone needs to start right at the bottom. Remember... "quality", not "quantity."
Little Dragon wrote:4) Be Integral. (OK, I'm still trying to assimilate that concept, hopefully the study guides will help me do that, so let's just say, Find Harmony in Diversity.)
Being "integral" assumes one has already "differentiated." Ever watch classic Star Trek? Spock wore a Vulcan symbol called the IDIC -- Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations. Tier 1 brings harmony to diversity thru assimilation. Tier 2 does it thru appreciation of difference.
Little Dragon wrote:5) Provide an impetus for further independent study and thought.
I assume this precludes, "get off your lazy ass and hit the books!"? :D
Little Dragon wrote:6) A study guide need not be perfect. It doesn't need to be the end all and be all of study guides. It can be modified and added to later. A journey starts with a single step.
This point need to be driven home, IMHO. Otherwise, people in certain valuing Memes WILL take it as the end all of study guides, as we have seen happen with most major religions (and even ISUS).

The biggest problem you face in the area of Study Guides is that most libraries ARE study guides... thousands upon thousands of them. You need to narrow the scope of study, here, to be effective. All paths lead to the same place, eventually. Which path(s) do the Anla'shok wish to promote?

Little Dragon

Re: Guide for study guides

Post by Little Dragon » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:43 am

Which path(s) do the Anla'shok wish to promote?
Remember the vMemes and Tiers... one person's "important" is anothers "irrelevant," depending on where their values currently reside. Perhaps you need to qualify "importance" by determining which vMeme considers it "important," and where the path leads from that point.
Remember... "quality", not "quantity."
Actually Lone Bear, I was about to ask for guidance on these issues.

Who is the website supposed to "touch"? That question has to be answered before you put up a single page. The answer determines what kind of tone and feel you present at the top level of the web site.

Personally, I would like to go down at least to the blue level. There is common ground between Christians, for example, and at least some elements of the Ra material such as seeing the other as otherself. On the other hand channeling is in their view the work of the devil himself and once they run into that minds will start closing up tight. If you want to include the traditionally religious as those you wish to benefit then you really have to "abandon" Ra and instead stress the "truths" found in his message. I think this could be done by showing that they are found in many, if not most religions.

Do you want to go with a technique that has been used for centuries and use the public website primarily as an exoteric branch and the forums as an esoteric branch?

The farther "down" you try to reach, the more quanity you get and the less quality you get ..... maybe ...... I'm not entirely sure you can equate "quality" with subdensity level. There are deeply, truly "spiritual" people at the blue level. There are also airie, fairie, new age people in the higher levels who do not have a rational thought in their heads. What exemplifies quality?

Which path(s) do the Anla'shok wish to promote?

I pretty much support the vision of Anla'shok as set forth by Blue Eagle in his original posts on the subject. Efforts to define it more precisely will only lead to confusion for the "typical" website visitor.

Which kind of study guide would be of benefit to the Anla'shok? Primarily, those which increase the understanding of self and otherself.
one person's "important" is anothers "irrelevant,"
IMHO, Universe 101 in its current form is not relevant to the purpose of the Anla'shok and should not be published on the website. I also do not think the Guide to Study Guides should be posted on the website. Study guide production should not be done by the general public although there should be a way for visitors to the site to suggest subjects for study guides.
I can set you up with a "reference" database, if you want to make the determination on how classification and arrangement should be made. We have MySQL available on the system.
I have a little experience with using databases but this may exceed my abilities.

Little Dragon

The ignoramus test

Post by Little Dragon » Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:27 pm

Carefully consider where you set your sites... if everything passes the ignoramus test...?
The ignoramus test is based on:

2) Present foundational material first and then build on it

A vauge feeling of what the intelligence level and previous exposure to the material the "typical" reader might have. This again depends on "who" you want the website to attract.

To give an example of the test being applied to particular statements (which was not my intent) rather than "study guides"

1) an energy pattern generated by a logos that represents a particular, fundamental "possibility" for expression.
2) an innate prototype for an idea, which may subsequently become involved in the interpretation of observed phenomena.
3) a primordial image that reflects basic patterns or universal themes common to us all which are present in the unconscious.
4) an inherited predisposition to respond to certain aspects of the world

1) Would fail the test, mainly because of the use of the word "logos". It use is extremely limited and the way it is being used here (I think) assumes previous exposure to the Ra material. It passes the test on this forum because about the only way a person get here is if they are first exposed to the Ra material.

The others would probably pass.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:34 pm

Little Dragon wrote:Who is the website supposed to "touch"? That question has to be answered before you put up a single page. The answer determines what kind of tone and feel you present at the top level of the web site.
My target for this site is the Elder Race, which is comprised of approximately 86,250 "Ancients" (here since the 1st cycle of 3rd density) and approximately 1,622,964,826 "Elders" whom reached the 3rd density during the final cycle. (From Zenmasters population equations).

All of the Ancients are already 2nd Tier thinkers who would be interested in the content and contribution of/to this site.

Of the remaining, based on Ken Wilber's vMeme distribution estimates, only 1.1% will have interest in the material here, which is about 17,852,613 people. These two groups are the ones I desire to "touch."
Little Dragon wrote:Personally, I would like to go down at least to the blue level. There is common ground between Christians, for example, and at least some elements of the Ra material such as seeing the other as otherself.
That is perhaps better addressed on the Lawof1.org site, since Carla is basically a blue vMeme thinker and channeled the Ra Material.
Little Dragon wrote:On the other hand channeling is in their view the work of the devil himself and once they run into that minds will start closing up tight. If you want to include the traditionally religious as those you wish to benefit then you really have to "abandon" Ra and instead stress the "truths" found in his message. I think this could be done by showing that they are found in many, if not most religions.
Another Tier 1 "Truth" site is not needed. See http://www.truthbeknown.com to see a good example of a site you are describing.

I am targeting those already in the yellow, turquoise and coral vMemes, as well as those who, though not yet centered in one of those vMemes, are still capable of using them for rational valuing. I see the strongest benefit in the latter, because it will provide the impetus for them to move their centers forward into Tier 2 thought, by being exposed to Tier 2 thinkers.
Little Dragon wrote:Do you want to go with a technique that has been used for centuries and use the public website primarily as an exoteric branch and the forums as an esoteric branch?
No. The existing site structure and forums are an interim measure, until I get the time to complete my development of an entirely new web-based approach to the sharing of knowledge, based on social memory complexes. I should have it ready for testing this winter.
Little Dragon wrote:The farther "down" you try to reach, the more quanity you get and the less quality you get ..... maybe ...... I'm not entirely sure you can equate "quality" with subdensity level. There are deeply, truly "spiritual" people at the blue level. There are also airie, fairie, new age people in the higher levels who do not have a rational thought in their heads. What exemplifies quality?
You will find that it is the definition of the word "spiritual" that changes with each level--not the people. A "blue" spiritual person is nothing like a "green" spiritual person, yet both use "spiritual" and are equally valid.

That is why I prefer to use the vMemes, which have been well defined, tested, and proven correct over a very large sample of the population. I consider "quality" to be those using Tier 2 for their valuing system, either centered on it or just visiting. All Tier 1 is still, for the most part, "group mind" which prizes quantity. It is my hopes that here, those "visiting" Tier 2 thinkers can make that extra effort to stay in the Tier, and not fall back to the more comfortable and "tried and true" methods of Tier 1. Let's pioneer, not just produce.
Little Dragon wrote:I pretty much support the vision of Anla'shok as set forth by Blue Eagle in his original posts on the subject. Efforts to define it more precisely will only lead to confusion for the "typical" website visitor.
As I said earlier, "typical" website visitors have thousands of "typical" websites to visit--they don't need another one. I prefer to structure this according to Minbari thought -- a place for the True Seeker, not the casual visitor.
Little Dragon wrote:I also do not think the Guide to Study Guides should be posted on the website. Study guide production should not be done by the general public although there should be a way for visitors to the site to suggest subjects for study guides.
Once the information is hashed out and refined, the posts can be removed. Consider it a "scratch pad" area for now.
Last edited by LoneBear on Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Topic moved to Alliance Reference

Post by LoneBear » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:48 pm

Little Dragon wrote:IMHO, Universe 101 in its current form is not relevant to the purpose of the Anla'shok and should not be published on the website.
Upon consideration, I concur that the topic is not specific to Anla'shok study guides, so I have relocated the topic to the Alliance Reference section. It would make sense that the Anla'shok will need to study both Alliance and Ranger guides for a complete view, whereas Alliance members would only be interested in the more general application.

Little Dragon

Post by Little Dragon » Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:10 pm

I prefer to structure this according to Minbari thought
My only knowledge of Minbari thought has been gained from this forum, therefore, I ask your consideration of my resignation from this assignment as I feel inadequate to fulfill it.

This does not mean that I intend to leave, but that I feel my time would be better spent in study and your efforts better served by someone else.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:49 pm

Little Dragon wrote:My only knowledge of Minbari thought has been gained from this forum, therefore, I ask your consideration of my resignation from this assignment as I feel inadequate to fulfill it.
Your wish is my command. Turning it over to BlueEagle. If you change your mind (due to a Babylon 5 marathon or two), please let me know.

BlueEagle
Centurio
Centurio

True Seeker

Post by BlueEagle » Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:21 am

The ture seekers are those that strive on their path, and do not act because particularly others wish it, but because it is their chosen path in the universe.

"To strive, to seek, to find, and to not yield." - Ulysses by Alfred Tennyson

"Sinclair: On Earth, the Grail is nothing but a myth. It's a nice story to tell your kids. For someone to spend his entire life looking for it is ---- it's not often taken very seriously.
Delenn: ... A True Seeker. Among my people, a True Seeker is treated with the utmost reverence and respect. It doesn't matter that his Grail may or may not exist. What matters is that he strives for the perfection of his soul, and the salvation of his race ---- that he has never wavered, or lost faith.[/i]

If we want to create this web site for those who are "seekers", we must create a web site with passion for those who have passion.
Believing in Faith