How to make a Magic Wand

General discussion about the Elder Race, Life, the Universe and Everything.
LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

How to make a Magic Wand

Post by LoneBear » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:33 am

For those getting ready to enter their first year at Hogwarts...

How to Make a Magic Wand, from The Great Book of Saint Cyprian
  1. Cut a willow branch. On the waning moon cut a 3 foot branch from a willow tree. Make sure that it is either a tree on your property or you have permission or otherwise you begin the process with a crime which will taint the result.
  2. Remove the bark from the stick in thin strips. Sand the willow stick down with the course sandpaper. Allow the wand to rest and dry.
  3. Sand again. Using the fine sand paper sand the willow until the branch is completely smooth.
  4. Gather the rest of your supplies. You will need glue, ribbons (Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, and Violet), a medium size quartz crystal, and copper wire.
  5. Glue strips of ribbon to the wand in the colors of the rainbow. Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet. Wrap the ribbons around the wand in any pattern you decide while working toward the bottom of the wand. Tie the ribbon off and put a bead of glue in place to hold it.
  6. Attach the quartz to the top of the wand by using the copper wire. Start by wrapping the quartz tightly then firmly hold the quartz against the top of the wand and wrap the wire tightly to the willow.

Arcelius
Atriensis
Atriensis

Re: How to make a Magic Wand

Post by Arcelius » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:39 pm

LoneBear wrote:[*]Cut a willow branch. On the waning moon cut a 3 foot branch from a willow tree. Make sure that it is either a tree on your property or you have permission or otherwise you begin the process with a crime which will taint the result.
Other trees may be used as well such as oak, maple, yew, etc. 3 feet seems rather long for a wand. Almost more like a walking stick or staff. it would not be remiss to ask permission of the tree before harvesting the branch either.
Lonebear wrote:[*]Remove the bark from the stick in thin strips. Sand the willow stick down with the course sandpaper. Allow the wand to rest and dry.
The bark helps keep the moisture inside the branch. Removing it assists in letting the branch dry. Dry wood won't rot unlike wet wood. Note that the harvested branch should not have any rot in it to begin with.
Lonebear wrote:[*]Sand again. Using the fine sand paper sand the willow until the branch is completely smooth.
I would take completely smooth to be using various grades of sandpaper down to 600 or even 1200 sand paper. Though not mentioned, you can oil the wand using a natural oil. This will help preserve the wood and show the grain of the wood more. This may be some bias :D showing through.
Lonebear wrote:[*]Glue strips of ribbon to the wand in the colors of the rainbow. Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet. Wrap the ribbons around the wand in any pattern you decide while working toward the bottom of the wand. Tie the ribbon off and put a bead of glue in place to hold it.
I would try to use more natural fabrics for the ribbons like cotton or linen (as examples) as opposed to plastics (or similar). The copper wire should be solid copper (some wire looks copper but isn't). The glue used should be archival-safe (i.e. acid-free) lest the wand starts "falling" apart prematurally.
Lonebear wrote:[*]Attach the quarts to the top of the wand by using the copper wire. Start by wrapping the quartz tightly then firmly hold the quartz against the top of the wand and wrap the wire tightly to the willow.
You must be thirsty if you need quarts (note: not quartz) to do this :lol: . This step is much easier with a properly shaped quartz crystal. A flatish bottom to place against wood and a decent point going outward (natural clear quartz should be as "see-through" as possible and the point should have 6 sides to it preferably coming to a single point). Note that this should be a natural crystal and not lead crystal such as is used for chandeliers. This may work well for focusing which I think is the purpose of the wand (which was never explicitly stated beyond starting out with some magical studies). For starting out, it may not really matter that much.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:37 pm

Interesting supplement, Professor Flitwick! Sounds like you have some experience here.

I suppose I should point out that The Great Book of Saint Cyprian (the sorcerer of Antioch) has a lot of the "dark arts" in it.
aluxon wrote:Though not mentioned, you can oil the wand using a natural oil. This will help preserve the wood and show the grain of the wood more. This may be some bias :D showing through.
In the systems of magick, wands are used to focus bio-energy, which is normally emitted through the palms of the caster in a fashion analogous to a shotgun (hence the ritualistic waving of hands to cast spells). In the animalia kingdom, bio-energy is transmitted through the marrow of the bone. In the plantae kingdom, it is transmitted through the sap channels. By properly holding a wand, you can take that shotgun blast and refine it into a laser, with the final focus being the crystal at the tip. The length of the wand is similar to the length of a gun barrel--the longer the barrel, the tighter the focus and more concentrated the emission effect.

Adding oils, which may make it look better, may be detrimental to the transfer of bio-energy through the sap channels and it if were used for magick, rather than for decoration, could cause a buildup of energy resulting in the wand exploding.
aluxon wrote:I would try to use more natural fabrics for the ribbons like cotton or linen (as examples) as opposed to plastics (or similar). The copper wire should be solid copper (some wire looks copper but isn't). The glue used should be archival-safe (i.e. acid-free) lest the wand starts "falling" apart prematurally.
The instructions were written circa 1849, so ribbons were probably cotton, dyed in plant oils for color. So think "19th century" when choosing decor.
aluxon wrote:This step is much easier with a properly shaped quartz crystal. A flatish bottom to place against wood and a decent point going outward (natural clear quartz should be as "see-through" as possible and the point should have 6 sides to it preferably coming to a single point). Note that this should be a natural crystal and not lead crystal such as is used for chandeliers.
Different crystals have different effects on the transfer of energy. Quartz transfers yang bio-energy effectively, because of the large quantity of silicon dioxide present. If you are going to deal with different forms of bio-energy, such as the yin or the "kundalini", different crystal types and shapes are required (pointy is yang, spherical, as in the scepter, is yin).
aluxon wrote:This may work well for focusing which I think is the purpose of the wand (which was never explicitly stated beyond starting out with some magical studies). For starting out, it may not really matter that much.
(See explanation above). Bio-energy is commonly understood as qi, ch'i, or prana. Couple other things to note, courtesy of a "sorcerer path" Elder in Great Britain, is that the copper wire can ONLY be used to secure the crystal. NEVER wrap the wand in copper wire! The coil acts like an inductor to bio-magnetism and it will create a type of biological "back EMF" in the wand, which can cause a backfire. (As demonstrated by Ron Weasley, you don't want to cast an "Eat Slugs" spell with a defective wand!)

Arcelius
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Arcelius » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:59 pm

LoneBear wrote:Interesting supplement, Professor Flitwick! Sounds like you have some experience here.
That "charm"ing am I?
Lonebear wrote:Adding oils, which may make it look better, may be detrimental to the transfer of bio-energy through the sap channels and it if were used for magick, rather than for decoration, could cause a buildup of energy resulting in the wand exploding.
Thanks for correcting me! I will note that if a wand is used a lot, it will obsorb some natural oils from your hand anyway. Also that beauty can enhance the magical experience. Exploding wands are not fun... unless it's someone else's wand and they are some distance from you; in which case, it can be hilarious or so I've heard. My experience would be more with using crystals alone as wands than with wood (naturally, the crystals are much less than 3 feet long). Though I have refinished some furniture before and oils can make an impressive finish.

I have only heard of one crystal exploding (not mine) and it shocked the person (a friend) immensely. Apparently, it had only been an idle thought . . . .
Lonebear wrote:Bio-energy is commonly understood as qi, ch'i, or prana. Couple other things to note, courtesy of a "sorcerer path" Elder in Great Britain, is that the copper wire can ONLY be used to secure the crystal. NEVER wrap the wand in copper wire! The coil acts like an inductor to bio-magnetism and it will create a type of biological "back EMF" in the wand, which can cause a backfire. (As demonstrated by Ron Weasley, you don't want to cast an "Eat Slugs" spell with a defective wand!)
Alternatively, also wrap the copper wire in an insulator such as leather (silk may also work) and ensure that you are only holding the wand by the leather. It is possible to make a wand from pure metals (as a type of crystaline structure) and in such a case, you would want to insulate the wand.

Gopi
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Gopi » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:48 am

LoneBear wrote:Couple other things to note, courtesy of a "sorcerer path" Elder in Great Britain, is that the copper wire can ONLY be used to secure the crystal.
Is this the same guy as Saint Cyprian or someone else?
It is time.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:20 am

aluxon wrote:That "charm"ing am I?
"Swish and flick...!"

Actually, they hold the wands incorrectly in the Harry Potter films, where they grab them like a knife and hack away. The proper method is more like that of a Conductor in front of an orchestra:
Conductor.jpg
Conductor Richard Calmes... conducting or casting?
Conductor.jpg (7.44 KiB) Viewed 18608 times
Rather a curious similarity between the conductor with his baton and the sorcerer with his wand! Don't know enough about musical history to know if there is any kind of cross-over here, along the lines of music being used as ritual magick.
aluxon wrote:Thanks for correcting me! I will note that if a wand is used a lot, it will obsorb some natural oils from your hand anyway.
Your hand oils contain an imprint of your personal energy, which also imprints the wand. It is why the "older is better" in the magical realm--it becomes impregnated with the spirit of its creator.
aluxon wrote:Exploding wands are not fun... unless it's someone else's wand and they are some distance from you; in which case, it can be hilarious or so I've heard.
Consider that energy cannot be created nor destroyed (law of conservation of motion), so that energy that exploded the wand went somewhere... as a violent and uncontrolled force. One must take care, because "what you see" isn't always "what is there."
aluxon wrote:My experience would be more with using crystals alone as wands than with wood (naturally, the crystals are much less than 3 feet long). Though I have refinished some furniture before and oils can make an impressive finish.
Crystals are OK for very close work, since they work like a sawed-off shotgun or "snubby" (hand gun with a really short barrel).
aluxon wrote:I have only heard of one crystal exploding (not mine) and it shocked the person (a friend) immensely. Apparently, it had only been an idle thought . . . .
Hoped they learned that inherent capacities can never be exceeded. A pint cannot hold a quart.
aluxon wrote:Alternatively, also wrap the copper wire in an insulator such as leather (silk may also work) and ensure that you are only holding the wand by the leather. It is possible to make a wand from pure metals (as a type of crystaline structure) and in such a case, you would want to insulate the wand.
Cows get hit by lightning all the time in Wyoming, so leather doesn't qualify as an insulator! Though some wand-makers use a leather wrapping for the handle, to prevent contamination from junk on their hands.

Pure-metal wands are not as effective as those made from organic materials, because they lack the "cosmic" connection, as we'd say in the RS, of the life unit. There are two, rare materials, however, that ignore that rule because of the method in which they were crystallized.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:24 am

Gopi wrote:
LoneBear wrote:Couple other things to note, courtesy of a "sorcerer path" Elder in Great Britain, is that the copper wire can ONLY be used to secure the crystal.
Is this the same guy as Saint Cyprian or someone else?
Saint Cyprian would be about 1800 years old by now... it is someone else who is alive and kicking, and not that wrinkly.

Arcelius
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Arcelius » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:26 pm

LoneBear wrote:Don't know enough about musical history to know if there is any kind of cross-over here, along the lines of music being used as ritual magick.
Perhaps you've seen the Sorceror's Apprentice by Disney though that may not qualify as ritual magic.
Lonebear wrote:Crystals are OK for very close work, since they work like a sawed-off shotgun or "snubby" (hand gun with a really short barrel).
Yes, within the elixir field. Of course it depends on the size/quality of the crystal (and other factors) as to how far away the effect can be mainfested. Large parts of the Earth are also crystaline in nature. You don't need to own the crystal to receive benefits.
Lonebear wrote:Hoped they learned that inherent capacities can never be exceeded. A pint cannot hold a quart.
Yes. They are much more careful now.
Lonebear wrote:Cows get hit by lightning all the time in Wyoming, so leather doesn't qualify as an insulator! Though some wand-makers use a leather wrapping for the handle, to prevent contamination from junk on their hands.
I have had a few different sources tell me that leather will work as an insulator for a wand (usually with hollow copper wands which are then packed with crystals and/or other things before being terminated). YMMV. I only thought of it since you mentioned not wrapping the copper around the full length of the wand. If you don't think leather will work, try silk, natural rubber, or don't work with metals wands altogether. There are many advantages to working with wooden wands and willow is a good, all-round choice.
Lonebear wrote:Pure-metal wands are not as effective as those made from organic materials, because they lack the "cosmic" connection, as we'd say in the RS, of the life unit. There are two, rare materials, however, that ignore that rule because of the method in which they were crystallized.
So a metal wand may have a 1D connection rather than the 2D connection that wood has (if I am understanding you correctly). Speaking of "dark arts", it kind of makes you wonder about wands made from human bones which would have the 3D connection (no, don't have any). Perhaps we should just settle on considering the arm (particularly the forearm) as the first part of the wand. Nice picture illustrating this.

Alluvion
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by Alluvion » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:16 pm

The staff-wand is nearly arm length, a considerable branch, and can structure lots of ornament. The more delicate wands are easily overpowered by a magick charge, producing no result except that the charge of the magician dissipates back into their own field, but requires such a powerful and subtle attenuation that to little will also not activate.

The analogy to music is indeed apt - music, after all, deals with inspiration - musicality is a spiritual notion about choices and moments made in the light of knowledge of the total, the whole as it is made by its many parts, and the parts as they contribute to the whole - the journey as seen from the end and any point along the path. It is supra-conscience. To conduct this consciousness into ones life is *the* point. Or tip, so to speak.

The anatomy of a wand is as follows: the foot, the grip, the spoke, the tip and the fount. The foot is the grounding 'base' of the grip, resting usually in the fleshy palm. The density of the wood-wand in this area is an absorbent attractor. The grip extends upwards and begins the tapering of the wand from the original branch diameter towards the tip-point, illustrating the tools relationship to the transformation: the material to the cosmic simultaneously with the cosmic to the material, for example.

The spoke is the main body of the wand. Most ornamental articulation happens here, influencing the concentration of high-band energy. This provides 'flavor'. The tip is a physical point - it is of a much grosser proportion and density than the fount, but is important because it is a liminal sign - the actual transector flux occurs *between* the tip and the fount, which is why the spiritual attenuation of the magician is critical for the use of this delicate tool. This implicit point can easily ground or negate the flowing charge, so knowledge of where and how to locate the tip-fount is important. Sometimes the activation makes sense with actual physical contact between matter and the tip, immersing the fount itself into matter. At other times, to do so would be the equivalent of drinking 10 cups of coffee and then trying to go to bed, while other times its simply release as pattern available for wayward specters and localized-beings (which can be trouble).

The use of crystals is very interesting - the delicate tapering wand, obviously, is a clunky tool with a chunky crystal caged onto its tip - proportion is priority! Given the nature of the charge, a crystal located in the foot or grip will provide the charge with an increase in spectral-ranges in proportion to the distance between the grip and the tip, but will not provide much in the way of increased amplitude. A crystal located at the tip will provide the charge with an increase in magnitude, but will not purify spectral distortions as greatly. Location, location, location!

An important consideration is the technique of crafting the wand - the long you take with it, the more you invest in its design and aesthetics, the more you *listen to the wand* the better your magical work will be. This process will cause you to grow as much as the will of the wand to mature, it is a relationship of consciences after all.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:07 am

An analysis of the types of bio-energy used by a wand indicates a two-fold approach. Yang ch'i cannot move through space, since "space" is yang and the relation of yang-to-yang does not constitute motion. Yang can only move through yin, which is atomic structure (time, yin). It can move very ineffectively through the atmospheric atoms, but there appears to be a better way:

Yin, being temporal and polar (RS2) would be bio-magnetic in nature, and follow a helical path of emission.
Yang, being spatial and linear would be bio-electric in nature, and follow a straight path.

By creating a yin envelope through the "vacuum" of space, one can generate an effective field of transmission for yang ch'i along the centerline of the wand:
WandEnergy.jpg
Wand Ch'i Energy
WandEnergy.jpg (27.28 KiB) Viewed 18541 times

Alluvion
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by Alluvion » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:56 pm

It seems as though one could consider the magnetic/field/Yin component and the electric/object/Yang conditions as such: a helical emission is similar, in terms of conscience/conscious action, as 'talking around something': a charge built indirectly. Meaning loaded through mystery, as in music where a strategic silence is the most meaningful expression. A direct emission is built by creative work, requiring knowledge of holographic principles so that, not only in the form of something (the linearity of the wand) or in its formal motion (a spiral) but in the crafting of something, harmonies can can be called upon.

I myself am not in possession of my wand, I am still in the stages of apprenticeship on Magical Law and Knowledge, as yet, the tool would be to dangerous in my hands. For now, it is the work upon my own consciousness/conscience which I must endeavor to be in readiness for use of the tool. As such it still puzzles me about the use or lack of use of incantations with regards to the wand, the magical affect and the magical effect, conjuring, manifesting, etc. So much is remains hidden even with extensive experience in the use of magical tools..

polonious21
Cognitor
Cognitor

Post by polonious21 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:06 pm

I always though that much of the power that we use comes from inside ourselves. I think in order for something as personal as a tool that could channel that power, it should be created from at least one personal object or something that has significance to you. Maybe using something personal could help to channel that energy and focus it. Just a thought
To love is Divine

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:24 am

polonious21 wrote:I always though that much of the power that we use comes from inside ourselves. I think in order for something as personal as a tool that could channel that power, it should be created from at least one personal object or something that has significance to you. Maybe using something personal could help to channel that energy and focus it. Just a thought
Now there you go, giving away one of the Wizard's best kept secrets! You are correct; in order to make a "real" magic wand that can channel your bioenergy, it must include something personal and highly meaningful to you at its core, and you must be the creator of the wand, so your personality matrix is imprinted upon it.

Bioenergy is intelligent energy (yep, just like Ra talked about). A piece of you stays with the wand, and remains connected with you, even after your physical body dies. And it has all the character of identity, and must be properly cared for. Study the history of the Keris for some hard data--the Javanese magical swords.

Arcelius
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Arcelius » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:49 pm

LoneBear wrote:A piece of you stays with the wand, and remains connected with you, even after your physical body dies. And it has all the character of identity, and must be properly cared for.
Take care if you inherit such items from someone else (whether living or dead). They may "choose" their next owner and it may not be you and they'll let you know if you listen. I currently have a quartz crystal that "verbalized" some instructions to its previous owner who hadn't been paying closer attention.

Slender
Indagator
Indagator

Post by Slender » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:22 pm

Huh!
My father had me make a wand at age fourteen, then he took it from me. I never saw it again. It was made of old driftwood, but beautiful when I had finished. He let me stud it with natural colored gemstones of my choice. Gems actually choose me...but anyway...so interesting this. I've wanted to make a new one forever. I have a pine staff that is special to me. It's only leg-long. No bark. I found it on the hilltop I was led to by the Vanara. I'd never EVER take one from a live tree. It was on the ground already. I may use my staff and make myself something special. Thanks guys!

Andrew
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by Andrew » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:51 pm

LoneBear wrote:
Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:20 am
Your hand oils contain an imprint of your personal energy, which also imprints the wand. It is why the "older is better" in the magical realm--it becomes impregnated with the spirit of its creator.
Would that mean the impregnation of the wand with biolubrication (skin oil) over time transforms the wand into a conduit for the bioenergies of the user to flow? If it were taking the spirit of the creator, then it may be taking on the life of its creator too, and thus begins to generate a material-temporal entanglement through which a higher order of electricity and magnetism can flow (or, generally, bioenergy.)
"Classical historians traditionally dismiss tales of magic as unworthy of scholarly attention, but to us any mention of a witch's broomstick or wizard's wand evokes the smell of a scientist's laboratory." The Sphinx and the Megaliths

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:20 pm

Andrew wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:51 pm
Would that mean the impregnation of the wand with biolubrication (skin oil) over time transforms the wand into a conduit for the bioenergies of the user to flow?
No, the oil just carries your bioenergy signature, which has a degree of intelligence. It just "tunes" it; it does not conduct bioenergy.
Andrew wrote:
If it were taking the spirit of the creator, then it may be taking on the life of its creator too, and thus begins to generate a material-temporal entanglement through which a higher order of electricity and magnetism can flow (or, generally, bioenergy.)
I suppose that depends if you are referring to yourself as "the creator" or ENKI (you know that horned dude that genetically engineered humans).
Keeper of the Troth of Ásgarðr, Moriar prius quam dedecorer.

Andrew
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by Andrew » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:54 pm

LoneBear wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:20 pm
Andrew wrote:
If it were taking the spirit of the creator, then it may be taking on the life of its creator too, and thus begins to generate a material-temporal entanglement through which a higher order of electricity and magnetism can flow (or, generally, bioenergy.)
I suppose that depends if you are referring to yourself as "the creator" or ENKI (you know that horned dude that genetically engineered humans).
I don't know exactly what you're alluding to here. Continue, though I should have said spirit of the user, since it becomes attuned to the user's bioenergy signature over time.
LoneBear wrote:
Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:07 am
An analysis of the types of bio-energy used by a wand indicates a two-fold approach. Yang ch'i cannot move through space, since "space" is yang and the relation of yang-to-yang does not constitute motion. Yang can only move through yin, which is atomic structure (time, yin). It can move very ineffectively through the atmospheric atoms, but there appears to be a better way:

Yin, being temporal and polar (RS2) would be bio-magnetic in nature, and follow a helical path of emission.
Yang, being spatial and linear would be bio-electric in nature, and follow a straight path.

By creating a yin envelope through the "vacuum" of space, one can generate an effective field of transmission for yang ch'i along the centerline of the wand:

Elaborate on why yin follows a helical path of emission. I thought a temporal object is a field effect in space.. an invisible, energetic force that surrounds the object outwards. A helical path of emission has both linear and rotational qualities but you say the yang aspect only follows a straight path. It don't see a reciprocal relation here.

If the soul produces a field effect, called an aura, and is "cosmically large enough" or well-developed, it would create the envelope through which yang-based bioelectricity could travel.
"Classical historians traditionally dismiss tales of magic as unworthy of scholarly attention, but to us any mention of a witch's broomstick or wizard's wand evokes the smell of a scientist's laboratory." The Sphinx and the Megaliths

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:55 pm

Andrew wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:54 pm
Elaborate on why yin follows a helical path of emission. I thought a temporal object is a field effect in space.. an invisible, energetic force that surrounds the object outwards. A helical path of emission has both linear and rotational qualities but you say the yang aspect only follows a straight path. It don't see a reciprocal relation here.
It is a complex quantity, L+iA,where L is the linear yang and A is the angular yin. The identity of a complex quantity is 1+i0, so there is a linear motion by default. The caster supplies the yin in the form of 1+i1, which follows the path of a coil.
Andrew wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:54 pm
If the soul produces a field effect, called an aura, and is "cosmically large enough" or well-developed, it would create the envelope through which yang-based bioelectricity could travel.
Just having the "material" available does not do much on its own--it requires intelligence to structure it into the desired form. I would recommend you examine telekinesis, and the focus and thought processes involved in utilizing it.
Keeper of the Troth of Ásgarðr, Moriar prius quam dedecorer.