Do you remember what is good or bad?

A place to conduct polls of the membership. Since voting on polls is a web-only system, there is no associated email list for this forum.

Do you tend to remember the good things or the bad things?

I don't remember much of anything.
9%
Most of my memories are of good things.
No votes
Most of my memories are of bad things.
36%
I see good and bad in everything, so "both."
55%

Total votes: 11

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Do you remember what is good or bad?

Post by LoneBear » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:53 am

I was watching a video on "Does Today's Music Suck?" and the presenter, David, made an interesting comment about memory, "We remember what's good and forget what's bad."

Reviewing my memories, I tend to remember what is bad, as those are the experiences that have taught me survival lessons.

I was wondering if this has changed over the years, as the younger generations have never been involved with any actual threat to their lives, like war and combat.
Keeper of the Troth of Ásgarðr, Moriar prius quam dedecorer.

Ilkka
Praefectus
Praefectus

Re: Do you remember what is good or bad?

Post by Ilkka » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:43 pm

LoneBear wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:53 am
Reviewing my memories, I tend to remember what is bad, as those are the experiences that have taught me survival lessons.
I too can remember mostly the bad experiences at least more clearly if anything then the few good ones when you get exited. I can remember this horrible accident when I hit a car while bicycling when I was like 5-6 years old OR I can reimagine the few bits right before it hit the car, then after that waking up in the shower at home, mom carried me home since she was behind me on a bike as well when that happened. Since then I have been more aware of incoming cars etc. fast moving objects. Then there is this tinnitus which keeps my perception activated for all the time, probably wakes me up at night many times too.
Enjoy the Silence

Djchrismac
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by Djchrismac » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:08 am

Both good and bad for me but the bad experiences are more easily and more often recalled. I'm quite bad with guilt so that's another factor that inspires me to not repeat a bad experience. I've always been one to strive to refine and improve anything I do, whether it's where I walk to find the optimum route or continually re-doing something like tidying a room and finding new tips and tricks to make that more efficient.

I remember the bad so I don't repeat that experience, learn from it and don't make the same mistake again. I remember the good so I recall how I felt and it will often inspire me to repeat the experience but try to improve things. Ideally you want to replace any bad experiences with good ones.

I don't agree with the presenter David's comments but it may indeed reflect how the youth of today think due to lack of threat, or possibly learning from your mistakes and improving is being phased out... it's easier to assimilate into the grid and distract!
Jones: [looks at Sallah] You said their headpiece only had markings on one side, are you absolutely sure? [Sallah nods] Belloq's staff is too long.
Jones and Sallah: They're digging in the wrong place!

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:01 am

Doing more research and I've found that the definition of "bad" has changed a LOT over the last 50 years... I am curious about this... what do you consider as "bad?" (and what generation are you in)?

Generations (approximate), based on year of birth:
Pre-1900, Lost
1901-1924, GI (General Infantry)
1925-1942, Silent
1943-1964, Baby Boomer
1965-1983, Generation X
1984-2000, Millennial (Generation Y)
2001-present, iGeneration (Generation Z)

I'm at the end of the Baby Boomer generation and things I consider bad are primarily things related to the physical: trauma, death, disability, trauma, disease, etc. Not getting "likes" on Facebook is irrelevant, not the end of the world.

What about you? Or is hitting "reply" too bad to handle? :D
Keeper of the Troth of Ásgarðr, Moriar prius quam dedecorer.

Ilkka
Praefectus
Praefectus

Post by Ilkka » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:45 pm

LoneBear wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:01 am
1984-2000, Millennial (Generation Y)
At the very beginning of this one.
LoneBear wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:01 am
I'm at the end of the Baby Boomer generation and things I consider bad are primarily things related to the physical: trauma, death, disability, trauma, disease, etc. Not getting "likes" on Facebook is irrelevant, not the end of the world.
My bad things are about the same. I take outer threats very seriously against my physical health, such as tobacco smoke. I dont wan't to be rude to the smoker and say to shove their cigarettes up in their arse even though I might say it outloud when I am very pissed off alone in my home. I know it doesn't help to just complain, but I cant really do anything about it other than just throw molotov cocktail at them, because saying nicely doesn't seem to work for some people. Rather not get karma involved in that thing, more than it is already involved.

Other bad things are making a mess that I have to clean up, sometimes you just fumble when doing stuff and make a mess. I remember this one time when I crashed my first car a bit, it was very slippery suddenly, even with shoes you could just skate on the road. Luckly no one was hurt because there wasn't anyone near when it happened. Car had some minor damage and luckly shortly after there came some peope with bigger car that pulled my car back on the road properly, since it was hanging half way over the road and blocking one lane almost entirely. Back tires were in the air and front tires were in the gutter and just couldnt get enough grip to get out of there without help. That crash thing could've been very bad instead of just being bad enough experience.
Enjoy the Silence

Andrew
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by Andrew » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:22 pm

I disagree with David. His comment you stated is something that sounds good, but is not an observation based on nature. The brain is hard-wired to keep problems at the forefront of one's consciousness, so the ego can ponder past threatening (bad) situations and act differently in a similar situation in the future. "We remember what's good and forget what's bad" is merely a reflection off the rose-colored glasses of a spotlight-adoring presenter of feel good circumstances.

As for day to day memories, I am unconsciously competent in remembering bad times or awkward circumstances or things I had done I wish I could have done a different way in hindsight. I have to consciously remember good times if I'm by myself. Good memories tend to come to mind quicker if I'm in a lighthearted discussion with friends or family.
"Classical historians traditionally dismiss tales of magic as unworthy of scholarly attention, but to us any mention of a witch's broomstick or wizard's wand evokes the smell of a scientist's laboratory." The Sphinx and the Megaliths