I "literally" cannot stand this any more...

General discussion about the Elder Race, Life, the Universe and Everything.
Djchrismac
Cellarius
Cellarius

I "literally" cannot stand this any more...

Post by Djchrismac » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:52 am

I'm sure others have noticed this but for some time now everyone seems to be using the word literally to describe anything they are discussing and more often than not it's used incorrectly, when figuratively should be used instead.

I noticed this last year with some other words and phrases but I literally can't believe how much I am hearing this now and it is figuratively making my head explode!

What you'll often hear is "I literally died at the thought..." for example. No, you didn't, or you wouldn't be here to tell anyone about it.

I'm now wondering if this is by design and whether intelligence like to drop the occasional word or phrase into every day use and see where it ends up, as part of an experiment? Another is the use of a double yes... "do you know this thing?" "yeah yeah" or "yes yes".

I guess what's more likely is that when something is overused on TV it then filters through society, catches on quickly and is spread through social media and websites by social sheeple, for example:

This goes beyond slang because it is happening everywhere and slang is usually a local thing as some phrases or words used in Scotland remain in regular use here but never spread elsewhere.

So what do you reckon, is the show above the origin of this recent buzz phrase or is it something else like the result of so many people connecting digitally these days?

Ilkka
Praefectus
Praefectus

Re: I "literally" cannot stand this any more...

Post by Ilkka » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:19 am

Djchrismac wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:52 am
So what do you reckon, is the show above the origin of this recent buzz phrase or is it something else like the result of so many people connecting digitally these days?
It could be from that show, spread through social media and perhaps originally intended as sarcasm. "I literally did stuff and died :D". If they use smilies then I think it is more likely sarcastic than taken more seriously. It adds more drama in the mix for some reason. Perhaps its similar to the "shit" in sentence, "I am doing work and shit" kind of thing, which actually means "I am doing work". Reminded me of that finnish comedian ISMO. On humor section there are few of his videos that you might've seen already. Now it has probably lost its meaning because some people have twisted it and misused it.

I use smilies for sarcasm or jokingly, because the written words cant show the tone of voice I would use for sarcasm.

This reminds me of the thing I cant stand is when they use "then" instead of "than", sentence sounds so stupid when that happens. I almost have written it wrong myself because of some weird reason, perhaps I pay too much attention to it and mistakenly press the wrong button when typing. I know mistakes happen but it seems that the youth today intend to type wrongly.

I remember that I once mixed the words "quantity" and "quality" in chemistry school and used them wrongly and even instructed my class mate that they were otherway around, which they actually weren't. I dont remember if he made the mistake of listening me about that, since he was bad at english language and I was quite good, well better than him. He was better in math than I though, where I sucked and still do maybe even more than ever since I haven't used math skills in many years. But anyways I tend to remember that difference of them words so that I would use them correctly in the future.
Enjoy the Silence

Andrew
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by Andrew » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:56 pm

Laziness and ignorance in the mind breed this sort of negligence towards the accuracy of one's vocabulary and speech patterns. The immense social pressure of politically correct ideology, out of fear of otherwise being too "nazi," with anything (!) imaginable, but sticking to this case of Language, creates a soft, indefinite, passive approach to language that only "kind of" "sort of" wants to get an opinion across, not a declarative fact or observation. Of course, definiteness is still needed in the natural world to get anything to work that serves to continue the survival of our species, but that requisite definiteness has been funneled into computer programming; computer linguistics, as of late, at the expense of consciousness.

What they teach: technology > self, as self depends on technology for survival.

I literally approach the topic of magic, as daniel does the development of ethical control units in people, as being necessary towards the survival of the human species. Figuratively speaking, it's like moving mountains, except you're not Jesus, and the faith you have to develop to do it pretty much requires the assistance to others and from others. Impossible to do with indefinite language, and even harder when definite language makes one feel like they're being a Nazi about things. False equivalence hurts. I possibly cannot stand it without outrage. Good topic.
"Classical historians traditionally dismiss tales of magic as unworthy of scholarly attention, but to us any mention of a witch's broomstick or wizard's wand evokes the smell of a scientist's laboratory." The Sphinx and the Megaliths

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:52 am

Djchrismac wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:52 am
The video cannot be viewed in the USA, blocked by NBC for copyright infringement.
Ilkka wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:19 am
But anyways I tend to remember that difference of them words so that I would use them correctly in the future.
"those words" ... :D
Andrew wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:56 pm
Laziness and ignorance in the mind breed this sort of negligence towards the accuracy of one's vocabulary and speech patterns.
Like totally awesome, dude! Man, like yeah, u're like literally blowin' my mind.

I'm no Bible thumper, but it does have a few lessons to be learned... like the Tower of Babel. God divided language into multiple language families, to keep man from effectively communicating and again "teaming up" to overthrow the lords. Now the self-proclaimed sons of god are doing it again with "reverse speak" where every word also means its opposite, so you can never be sure of anything that anyone says.

And it is not limited to language... they have also done it with gender identity... heck, when I walk by a High School student, I literally cannot tell if it is a boy or girl--unless you stop and ask for their "pronouns," which then confirms a total sense of confusion. When I compare where society is now, compared to a 50 years ago when I was there... I see a society that is devolving into chaos.
Keeper of the Troth of Ásgarðr, Moriar prius quam dedecorer.

Ilkka
Praefectus
Praefectus

Post by Ilkka » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:44 am

LoneBear wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:52 am
Ilkka wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:19 am
But anyways I tend to remember that difference of them words so that I would use them correctly in the future.
"those words" ... :D
I try to remember that one too :)
Enjoy the Silence