Westworld

Discussion of Science Fiction motifs, symbols and allegory.
Djchrismac
Cellarius
Cellarius

Westworld

Post by Djchrismac » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:20 pm

After delaying advice from a few friends who had been telling me to watch this for some time now, I finally decided to see what Westworld was all about... now I also know why I waited so long to do so as it turns out that it covers a lot of recent discussions on the fora about AI, virtual worlds, the matrix, playing god, video games and much more.

I assume nobody else has watched it or there would have been a topic on it already. It's a bit like Red Dead Redemption crossed with Blade Runner and Groundhog Day, that might sound a bit crazy but it works very well.

I'm only 4 episodes in so far but it is gripping stuff and raises lots of moral questions throughout regarding evolution and consciousness, programming and manipulation, power and control, right and wrong. I don't want to give too much away for the benefit of those who have yet to watch it but I highly recommend it.

Some of the humour is really good, such as modern songs being used as a piano track in a saloon. The characters and actors have been excellent so far too, with the classic mysterious man in black who is chasing some other agenda providing a lot of intrigue.

I'll leave you with this quote from Anthony Hopkins from the second episode...

"Everything in this world is magic, except to the magician."
Jones: [looks at Sallah] You said their headpiece only had markings on one side, are you absolutely sure? [Sallah nods] Belloq's staff is too long.
Jones and Sallah: They're digging in the wrong place!

daniel
Centurio
Centurio

Re: Westworld

Post by daniel » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:27 pm

I saw the original film back in 1973; did not know they revived it and made it into a series.
Don't ever trust the people that claim the right to rule you. --Larken Rose
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/daniel.phoenixiii

Djchrismac
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by Djchrismac » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:02 am

daniel wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:27 pm
I saw the original film back in 1973; did not know they revived it and made it into a series.
Somehow the original film passed me by which is unusual as I liked most good sci-fi and obscure movies when I was younger but a friend who's seen both says it is well worth a watch and also recommends the new series as do I.

We're still only 4 episodes in but lots has happened so far and we should manage to watch a few more later this week.
Jones: [looks at Sallah] You said their headpiece only had markings on one side, are you absolutely sure? [Sallah nods] Belloq's staff is too long.

Djchrismac
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by Djchrismac » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:53 am

I finished watching this the other day and it's fantastic, well worth watching. I had heard a few people moan about series 2 but I thought it was just as good as the first. A brief look indicates that those who didn't like it found it forced them to think too much(!) but really it was quite easy to follow if you paid attention, which is no doubt the root of the problem for the current generation, no attention span.

It's hard to discuss without giving away many spoilers so i'll leave this here until others have had a chance to watch it. I have to say I am probably on the side of the Hosts more than anyone, their situation seems very similar to our current one.

A brilliant story, lots of twists, great characters and acting with brilliant direction and memorable scenes, highly recommended.