Venom - Enlil and Enki?

Discussion of Science Fiction motifs, symbols and allegory.
Kent
Cognitor
Cognitor

Venom - Enlil and Enki?

Post by Kent » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:06 am

I suppose I should say SPOILERS ahead for the movie Venom (the 2018 movie with Tom Hardy) -

Found myself zoning out in front of the tv last night, and while I should have gone to bed I got engrossed in Venom. If you're a fan of any of the Marvel movies...this one pales in comparison. For anyone who didn't know, Venom was actually a Sony product and not made by the same Marvel studios which brought us the latest iterations of Iron Man, Thor, and The Avengers. But, I digress. Production value and special effects are all good enough, but the plot's pretty formulaic. For anyone not familiar the original story concerns an alien life form in the form of a symbiot which finds a host in Eddie Brock when it comes to earth and begins wreaking havoc all over the place. He's principally an enemy of Spider-Man. I also think that Venom comes to use Spider-Man as a host in the comic book series, but I'm not a huge comic fan. Would need to verify that.

Anyhow, in the move a high profile scientist (sorry, can't remember the character's name) is conducting covert space missions in order to find suitable places to live off-planet as he foresees the overcrowding on Earth as a precursor to it being uninhabitable within a generation. They find these symbiots and begin testing on the poor/homeless populations (reminiscent of the stories which came out of Montauk). Most of the early tests kill the subjects, and Eddie Brock is a journalist who earlier in the movie loses his career after approaching the scientist about previous allegations concerning his testing of pharmaceuticals on vulnerable populations resulting in needless deaths for his profit. One of the scientists who is involved in the current testing reaches out to Eddie to confirm that his earlier allegations were true and asks for his help in exposing the current tests. Eddie becomes a host for one of the symbiots (Venom). Venom is patently evil, feeding on humans, and generally causing destruction while admitting to Eddie that his agenda involves using the Earth as a playground/feeding ground.

The climax of the movie takes place when we find out that the head scientist has a symbiot of his own (Riot). Venom tells Eddie that they have to stop Riot, because Riot is a general of sorts and wants to bring millions of symbiots to Earth. Venom admits that he wants to have free reign of the Earth whereas Riot will take it over completely. I turned the movie off at this point, but I found it interesting that there are basically two villians. Venom, who is no friend to humanity, but is Eddie's best chance at survival (the symbiots needs hosts to live on Earth) is pitted against another of his kind who's agenda is just as damaging, but the difference is that his (Riot's) exists on a larger scale. Seems to parallel Enlil and Enki.

Thoughts?

Djchrismac
Cellarius
Cellarius

Re: Venom - Enlil and Enki?

Post by Djchrismac » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:41 am

I've not watched any recent superhero movies for many a year but I see the paralells and in fact, a large majority of modern movies are just retelling the original tales from mythology (our true history) but in a new format to a new audience.

Modern religion praises God/Jehovah/Enlil while denouncing Satan/Lucifer/Enki while mythology is more in favour of Enki, being our genetic engineer and the one who gave humanity agriculture, civilisation etc. with Enlil the nasty destructive god of war.

To be honest, I don't trust either of them.
Jones: [looks at Sallah] You said their headpiece only had markings on one side, are you absolutely sure? [Sallah nods] Belloq's staff is too long.
Jones and Sallah: They're digging in the wrong place!

Kent
Cognitor
Cognitor

Post by Kent » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:30 am

Djchrismac wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:41 am

Sorry if I wasn't clear I'm in complete agreement. Neither is good for humankind as far as I can tell. I just thought it was interesting to see in a modern movie, although as you pointed out most of these stories are just re-telling our mythologies. I try to stay away from modern media, but found myself zoning out and getting caught up in the bright lights and explosions. Thought I'd point it out as another example of these stories popping up. Thought the folks here would appreciate the example.

Ilkka
Praefectus
Praefectus

Post by Ilkka » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:12 pm

Djchrismac wrote:
I've not watched any recent superhero movies for many a year but I see the paralells and in fact, a large majority of modern movies are just retelling the original tales from mythology (our true history) but in a new format to a new audience.
I've noticed that too.
Djchrismac wrote:
I dont either. If I had to choose maybe I'd go for the lesser evil.
Kent wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:06 am
Thoughts?
I've seen Venom and it was entertaining and the symbiote required living beings in order to sustain it. Not so different from us. At the ending Eddie convinced his symbiote to eat/kill only bad people i.e. criminals. So that the murder would be justified.

I think Tom was very good at playing Eddie Brock in that movie, I have seen him in totally different character in "Taboo" series, which should continue as its been on hold for a few years or so now and of course I liked that series and hope that they bring it back.
Enjoy the Silence

Kent
Cognitor
Cognitor

Post by Kent » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:01 pm

Ilkka wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:12 pm

I've seen Venom and it was entertaining and the symbiote required living beings in order to sustain it. Not so different from us. At the ending Eddie convinced his symbiote to eat/kill only bad people i.e. criminals. So that the murder would be justified.
Actually, thanks for telling me this. I don't think I'll take the time to see the ending. I find it interesting how the filmmakers justify having an evil symbiot among us as long as it acts as some kind of moral authority disposing only those we find undesirable. Reminds me of the Tolkien quote "...do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement". So much folly (in my opinion) in handing over judgement and evaluation of our society to something outside of us.