Spaceport America

General discussion about the Elder Race, Life, the Universe and Everything.
7Serpent
Cognitor
Cognitor

Spaceport America

Post by 7Serpent » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:07 am

I had no idea this was even being built... 18,000 acres.. and now they have it, the 1st ever built on the planet ? It is closed but ready for operations, are they expecting visitors? Interesting logo.. who funded all this and keeps it open when it has no space vehicles? Is Bugs Bunny out back waiting to greet the visitors or did he take that wrong turn at Albuquerque ? Check out the link and below an excerpt explains our new spaceport with some details..

https://www.spaceportamerica.com/about/

THE WORLD’S FIRST PURPOSE-BUILT
COMMERCIAL SPACEPORT

Spaceport America is the first purpose-built commercial spaceport in the world. The FAA-licensed launch complex, situated on 18,000 acres adjacent to the U.S. Army White Sands Missile Range in southern New Mexico, has a rocket friendly environment of 6,000 square miles of restricted airspace, low population density, a 12,000-foot runway, vertical launch complexes, and about 340 days of sunshine and low humidity. Some of the most respected companies in the commercial space industry are customers at Spaceport America: Virgin Galactic, Boeing, UP Aerospace, EXOS Aerospace, HyperSciences, and SpinLaunch.

About Spaceport America

Kent
Cognitor
Cognitor

Re: Spaceport America

Post by Kent » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:22 am

It appears that this is a State sanctioned effort as 6 of the 8 Board members are appointed by the Governor of NM, and confirmed by the State Senate; from their website:

"The New Mexico Spaceport Authority Board of Directors consists of eight members; six are appointed by the Governor and confirmed by the State Senate. The Lt. Governor and the Secretary of the Economic Development Department or her designee are also members. By statute, no more than three of the appointed members shall belong to the same political party. Members serve staggered four-year terms."

I dunno, this could be an example of New Mexico trying to get ahead of the curve in an attempt to attract a new industry. They make a point to talk about climate and geographic conditions (days of sunshine, low humidity, low population density) as if to sell themselves to private companies considering places to land and launch commercial space flights. Or there may be more at work here. It definitely seems strange, but Corporations are moving behind the scenes of public awareness constantly, so who knows?

7Serpent
Cognitor
Cognitor

Post by 7Serpent » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:57 am

So how much was spent... $$$$$$$ to attract an lndustry that might exist for low earth orbit , but they say space as in Mars.. lol.

ROI= zero, no company in the public sector has any such space vehicle, nor will they ever using rocket science.

Except for selling tours and hosting some aviation events that's all they have to show after no telling how much taxpayer $$$$ blown. I struggle keeping up rent ..yet NM has that much extra cash?

Kent
Cognitor
Cognitor

Post by Kent » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:28 am

Well, on the one hand I've seen politicians piss away money on dumber stuff. I agree with you that the ROI doesn't really seem evident for this project, and may not even exist at all. But, all it really takes is a small number of people in the right places convincing decision makers that this would be worth the time...and after some political maneuvering and processing, voila! Funding is achieved.

And there's always the possibility that this is a cover for something more clandestine. I just don't think there's much evidence currently for the second possibility though. This might just be a case of plain old stupidity winning the day.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:46 pm

I agree that it looks like a money play... they are doing the same thing with the Salt Lake airport. As soon as they got it finished from the last modernization, they started tearing it down to do another modernization--and are already millions over budget. Looks like some big-wigs want a tax write-off.
Keeper of the Troth of Ásgarðr, Moriar prius quam dedecorer.

Ilkka
Praefectus
Praefectus

Post by Ilkka » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:00 pm

LoneBear wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:46 pm
I agree that it looks like a money play... they are doing the same thing with the Salt Lake airport. As soon as they got it finished from the last modernization, they started tearing it down to do another modernization--and are already millions over budget. Looks like some big-wigs want a tax write-off.
At least there is enough work for construction workers, im just saying. :D

But seriously thats just mental to spend on things that are not going to be used productively. Its not actually improvement, just waste of money. They should rather wipe their asses with 1000 dollar bills than waste all that money in some stupid useless buildings. The reason I say that is because that money paper is rough. :D
Enjoy the Silence

Djchrismac
Cellarius
Cellarius

Re: Spaceport Scotland

Post by Djchrismac » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:49 am

It's happening everywhere now, behold another cash-sinkhole to divert funding into black op projects while simultaneously ruining some more natural environments:

http://www.hie.co.uk/regional-informati ... fault.html

https://spacecareers.uk/?p=news_item_public&id=7

https://www.contracts.mod.uk/do-feature ... -scotland/

To show spaceports up for the lie that they are see the following links:

The space shuttle programme was a fake - http://mileswmathis.com/shut.pdf

https://www.thelivingmoon.com/index.html

https://www.aulis.com/
Jones: [looks at Sallah] You said their headpiece only had markings on one side, are you absolutely sure? [Sallah nods] Belloq's staff is too long.
Jones and Sallah: They're digging in the wrong place!

Ilkka
Praefectus
Praefectus

Post by Ilkka » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:50 am

Djchrismac wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:49 am
It's happening everywhere now, behold another cash-sinkhole to divert funding into black op projects while simultaneously ruining some more natural environments
Fortunately not in Finland... yet.

I wonder if it is actually the other way around, that they are actually going underground instead of space. Remote location with lots of space around, perfect place to start digging some bunkers or even more deeper into hollow earth. Or perhaps they have stargates placed at those places, faster way to travel than a plane.

However it could be true that they have no use at all, but why? Just because they can? I dont think so, I think there must be something behind all that than just spending money on useless things.
Enjoy the Silence

tymeflyz
Indagator
Indagator

Post by tymeflyz » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:30 pm

"However it could be true that they have no use at all, but why? Just because they can? I dont think so, I think there must be something behind all that than just spending money on useless things."

why? Its all about the skim!the more $ you move - the more you can skim ; without the $ movement the missing $ becomes more noticeable ; [

Ilkka
Praefectus
Praefectus

Post by Ilkka » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:04 pm

tymeflyz wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:30 pm
why? Its all about the skim!the more $ you move - the more you can skim ; without the $ movement the missing $ becomes more noticeable
So you think that they largely overshoot the cost of the place and build it as cheap as they can and skim the rest? That is quite good reason as any for doing such things.
Enjoy the Silence

Kent
Cognitor
Cognitor

Post by Kent » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:56 am

Ilkka wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:04 pm
tymeflyz wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:30 pm
why? Its all about the skim!the more $ you move - the more you can skim ; without the $ movement the missing $ becomes more noticeable
So you think that they largely overshoot the cost of the place and build it as cheap as they can and skim the rest? That is quite good reason as any for doing such things.
This is largely how most government sponsored projects work. And even when there's not outright stealing the bureaucratic process to implement things is so grossly inefficient that massive amounts of money get wasted. For example, a project will likely have a bidding process for contractors which means that people need to be hired to draft the requirements of the project for public announcement, outline the application process, and then review said applications. Even if the people reviewing applications choose the best intersection of quality and price the process takes so long and is so inefficient that it may as well be stealing. And that's assuming that there's absolutely no favoritism (the application reviewer giving his cousin Louie an inside track, etc) along the way. Furthermore, when you add into the fact of political considerations of departments getting their budgets reduced if they don't spend (or show a need) for all of the money that was allotted to them in previous budgets then you're looking at people incentivized to over-spend in order to keep their professional lives afloat. It's kind of a mess, really.